Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal Detected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sweetaloha

sweetaloha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

When ever I start or shut down my computer I get this message "no signal detected" what does this mean and how do I fix this?

I have a:
HP Pavilion a640n
Windows xp

Alexis

Edited by sweetaloha, 20 August 2010 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

That's a monitor message...could be connection, could be monitor, could be video card (generally).

I would check the connections and try a different monitor.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Willsor

Willsor

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

It is possible that your monitor does not support the resolution that your computer is trying to "give out" so to speak. Try starting in safe mode.

Do you see the windows xp loading bar when you turn on? If yes, then try pressing F8 to go into safe mode. The safe mode resolution is 640x480 I believe, so should work with any monitor.
From there you can right click on the desktop >properties>then click the settings tab, and put the screen resolution down a bit. Reboot not in safe mode (ie, don't press F8 on startup) and it should be fine.
If you see absolutely NOTHING from the moment you press the power button, then it is probably a connection issue.

hope it helped

#4 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

Is it just when Starting up then Shutting down? Other then that it functions normaly? I've seen many a monitor drop signal right after post then pick it back up just as quick. Also the same after shut down little blip of no signal then monitor "hibernates" or w/e. This might not be any sort of actual problem... as long monitor functions normaly between startup and shut down.

I could have misunderstood what you mean though more details would help a ton.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users