Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Suite Fake AntiSpyware Virus - Closes All Programs - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 classicalfineartsguy

classicalfineartsguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

So I was infected by this virus that came out of nowhere. It won't let me run any programs (other than Firefox, oddly enough) and it closes every program that I run. Before I restarted, I was at least able to run the Task Manager so I could have deleted a bunch of suspicious things, but now I can't even do that. What should I do? I really need this computer for a project I'm doing, can someone PLEASE help?

I tried installing things and renewing my McAfee subscription, but again, it closes ALL my programs. I found this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic320220-15.html

Should I just follow that, or is this an individual thing?

PS, I found the virus on the website, should I just follow this?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-security-suite

Edited by classicalfineartsguy, 20 August 2010 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mehtdosa11

mehtdosa11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

hi yes i would follow the removal instructions. i've just joined this site due to the excellent help and advice i received whilst removing a similar virus from my friend's laptop. good luck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Please...do NOT follow the removal instructions that are intended for a particular system that has malware problems.

Procedures listed and steps taken...will vary from case to case and will depend on the results of previous steps. Additionally, the steps/procedures chosen will vary from person to person who is responding to the malware situation.

But the general instructions provided by Grinler (Security AV Removal Guide) can be followed...please be sure to read and follow exactly as written. Those are detailed on the last link you previously referenced.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-security-suite

Louis

#4 classicalfineartsguy

classicalfineartsguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

Ok so I tried the guide. I'll try it again more thoroughly when I get back from work later tonight but this is basically what happened.

1 - Safe Mode + Networking = Still no internet connection, I don't think my computer will let me.
2 - Rkill was able to run but didn't really show that much other than a small log.
3 - I guess something did happen because I was able to override the virus and start programs
4 - I tried using Malware Bytes, McAfee, and Avira - none of them found anything
5 - Of course, when I booted to normal mode, it was still there (not that I was expecting it to be gone, but I guess I had like a .1% hope)

Like I said I'll try it again when I get back home but I just found this weird.

#5 classicalfineartsguy

classicalfineartsguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Looks like this guy had the same issue:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic341747.html

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

FWIW: I've followed the guide...and removed that particular item from a computer with various other malware items. Although it's not guaranteed, I believe the major flaw for some is that they fail to read and follow the very specific instructions listed.

In any event..the instructions also cover what a user should do...in the event where the detailed instructions don't do the job. It's one of the latter paragraphs that starts out phrased something like..."If you are still having problems...".

That instructs the user how to prepare to make a proper post to the apppropriate BC malware forums, which offer technical experience and assistance in dealing with malware.

Quote: "If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked below:

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help.

Louis

FWIW: There is a substantial time difference involved between the two different approaches (Removal Guide versus posting a log).

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2010 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users