Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing Windows and keyboard shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

For some reason mac opens a new window behind the ones already open. To get to the newly opened windows I have to minimize everything in front of it or use expose. I haven't found a keyboard shortcut like the alt-tab in windows that lets me cycle thru all open windows, minimized or not, very quickly. I haven't found a shortcut that moves me to another open window. I've tried command-tab, command-`and control F4.

Sometimes the Window Menu has a Cycle thru all windows option and sometimes it doesn't, but it didn't do anything when it was there.

How does one quickly navigate thru open windows, both minimized and not, on a mac?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:59 AM

Something like the four finger swipe on the trackpad? System Preferences > Trackpad > 4 Fingers > enable swipe to switch applications.
Search for "keyboard shortcuts" in Finders Help menu for a list of keyboard shortcuts. You can also create your own keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > click on the + button > choose the Application > create a Menu Title > choose which keys you'd like to use a shortcuts. I've only read of this somewhere online but I have never tried it myself.

#3 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

Cycle through open Finder windows
Command-` (the Grave accent key--above Tab key on a US English keyboard layout)
SEE OSX Keyboard Shortcuts
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

The four finger swipe on the trackpad works - that is the same as hitting the expose F3 key and puts all my open windows, minimized or not, as not-really-thumbnails spread out on the desktop.

Command-` cycles thru all the windows in one program, except any that are minimized.
Command-Tab cycles thru the last two windows used [I think] whichever program.
Both of those are useful sometimes.
Fn-Control-F4 is the closest to Alt-Tab in that it cycles thru all the open windows except not the ones minimized on the dock.

So the four finger swipe is the best way to find the window you want out of all the ones open. I configured so that if I put the cursor in the lower right corner of the screen I also get the "All Windows" expose effect. [System preference > Expose and Spaces]. That's quick when I'm using the mouse, but not when I'm using the keyboard. I'm not that good w/ the trackpad, and especially not when I'm just dropping my thumb to the trackpad to move the cursor.

I'd also like to configure a key combination like control-s, but the only options are single function keys or single control keys.

Edited by MaryBet82, 22 August 2010 - 12:33 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

Just an edit. You can assign a control + key combination to expose all windows - you just don't do it in system preferences > expose & spaces. You do it in system preferences > keyboard. So I assigned control-s and I can get to any open window very quickly now. :blink:
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users