Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best wall to install new Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigguy3

bigguy3

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

What is the best way to install a new AV? I've been running AVG 9.0 on one computer and have Kaspersky on another ... paid version. Recently AVG snuck a toolbar in on an update and I'm not really satisfied with the new AVG. the problem: I'm paranoid about taking AVG off of my machine while installing Kaspersky, while online.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Shouldn't be a problem do this offline.

Download and save the Kaspersky installer.

Download and save the relevant AVG Remover utility.

Go offline.

Disable all AVG's real-time protection.

Uninstall AVG through Control Panel (Add/Remove).

Reboot.

Run the AVG removal tool.

Reboot.

Install Kaspersky.

If for some reason you need to be online to install Kaspersky, uninstall AVG as above. Then, unless you're using a separate third-party Firewall, temporarily enable Windows Firewall, go online and install Kaspersky.

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Provided you have a router or a firewall (even the Windows XP one) operating and don't visit strange sites while you are changing over, you should not need to worry. If Kaspersky can be installed offline, you could download it's installer and disconnect before you uninstall AVG if you are concerned. Then install Kaspersky and connect to the internet.

Edit: RedDawn got in first :thumbsup:

Edited by JamesFrance, 20 August 2010 - 12:57 PM.

James

#4 bigguy3

bigguy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

I like the advice about being semi-protected with a firewall (xp) and selective surfing. Kaspersky (in a box) has to be installed with online connection, so I'm planning to see if I can install Kaspersky then uninstall AVG ... I know, I'll have two AV's running for a short period but I don't think it will be a big problem.
Any thoughts?

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

I certainly wouldn't recommend that method, and have a strong feeling Kaspersky will refuse to install anyway while another AV is present.

Edited by RedDawn, 20 August 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#6 jbeck52

jbeck52

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

I just tried Kaspersky 2011 and it seems really good once you figure out how configure settings? Time will tell here on this forum :thumbsup:

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

I agree with RedDawn again and don't forget the removal tool which I didn't know about having not used AVG.

Never install two avs together unless one is only in the cloud.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users