Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound freeze/choppy in Windows XP after fresh install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orangeflava

orangeflava

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

I recently upgraded an HP a1116x PC from XP home to XP Pro. I did a fresh install and made all the updates I could(service pack 3 and the lot). I went to the HP homepage for the computer and found all neccessary drivers except for the audio one. So we decided to replace the sound card with a Diamond Xtreme 5.1 sound card. It installed fine and I checked for latest drivers on it.

Sound works pretty good except when I do anything on the PC. If i use a program the sound gets choppy and freezes. the mouse may freeze as well. even when i am just surfing the web. Sometimes it will work for a few minutes but then the audio with get all choppy again. After the computer "thinks" the sound will play again. then a few minutes later it will happen again. its nonstop.

Why is this happening? It is a fresh install of XP and i have anti virus software protecting the pc. Can someone help resolve this issue? thanks.

My PC specifications are the same as in the link below except for the ram i added. I upgraded it to 2GB.

HP a1116x webpage - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00402426
Diamond Xtreme 5.1 webpage - http://www.diamondmm.com/XS51.php

Edited by orangeflava, 20 August 2010 - 11:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

Did you/can you...disable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

If not, I would do so. And I would try uninstalling the drivers...and reinstalling same.

Louis

#3 orangeflava

orangeflava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

i disabled the onboard audio option in bios but i still get the choppy/freeze audio randomly. it seems the computer locks up at this point as well. i reinstalled the audio drivers from the original disk but i did it before i changed the bios. do i need to do it after?

any other tips on how to fix this problem? it is really annoying. thanks for any help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Changing the BIOS options should not have any impact other than removing the onboard from the equation.

You might try running the chkdsk /r command...then running defrag on your system.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system, command will execcute...system boots into XP after command does its work.

Louis

#5 orangeflava

orangeflava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I ran chkdsk and it did its thing. Rebooted and checked defrag but it says it is not neccessary. i just reinstalled windows on it so i figured i didnt need to run it anyways but i can if you think i need to. i still have the freeze issue after running that command. it sucks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

You might take a look in Event Viewer...just the errors are important...and look at the detail (by double-clicking the line item) for the last 5 or so errors and see if any clues lie therein.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

To be honest...at this point, I would have to start looking at possible corruption in the software used for audio functions...nothing else makes sense to me.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users