Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

inspiron 6400 wont boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wilbarman1

wilbarman1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

I HAVE AN INSPIRON 6400 LAPTOP NOT VERY OLD----WHEN POWER IS SWITCHED ON IT SAYS WINDOWS FAILED TO START.I GET A SCREEN TO LAUNCH STARTUP REPAIR WHICH RUNS AND THEN SAYS CANNOT FIX THIS PROBLEM.
THE COMPUTER DISPLAY IS FINE----WILL COME ON WHEN MEDIA DIRECT IS PRESSED BUT WINDOWS WILL NOT START UP. IT STILL WONT START IN ANY OF THE SAFE MODE OPTIONS EITHER.
ANY IDEAS ANYONE?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Please try to refrain from using all capital letters in posts, as that can be construed as shouting at the reader. :thumbsup:

The problem that you may be having is your hard drive in this laptop is either failing, or your CMOS battery has died and is no longer keeping the BIOS settings needed for normal boot up.

Did you by any chance still have the disks that came with this laptop?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 wilbarman1

wilbarman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the advice----I do not have any disks for this----please explain what the CMOS battery is.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

A CMOS battery is what saves your computers settings after it is powered off and disconnected from its power supply.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6121561_replace-cm...ell-laptop.html

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Vista version of Windows?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users