Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What CCleaner boxes shall I tick?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

Hi,
I've had CCleaner for years and use it about once a month to get rid of any accumulated system-slowing gunk that might have built up on my system like bat droppings in a cave.
These are the boxes I've got ticked which I hope are the right ones, or do you think I should tick or untick any more?
(I'm Win XP and into flight sims/strategy games/general surfing and hopping around discussion forums etc)
Thanks

WINDOWS TAB
Posted Image

APPLICATIONS TAB
Posted Image

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 20 August 2010 - 08:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

BleepingComputer's stance on registry cleaners has been that the usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great. Regular disk defragmenting and disk cleanup will help keep your computer running at a normal speed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

I've never found it necessary/useful to use CCleaner...I installed a couple of months back to see why so many seem to think it's necessary. I could not see where it eliminated any files that I could not do on my own, using Windows tools.

The registry cleaner portion of CCleaner...has already been touched on.

Louis

#4 rohandasean

rohandasean

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

@Dc3 he is not using the Registry Cleaner ! He is showing the other Temporary Files Deleter ! Is there a possibility that it can damage the system too ?

I've never found the basic cleaner harmful. I selected all options in the Windows and Application tabs, except the ADVACNED ones in the Windows tab. I skipped all of the ADVANCED ones. Done no harm, and cleared out space a lot. However, you might wait on someone else's opinion too, I'm a newbie here !

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

The only reason I use CCleaner is to automatically clean temp files, cookies and the recycle bin each time I boot up. There are other tools that will do that but not automatically. That's a big deal for the average user.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

There are a number of programs like Ccleaner available and some are safer than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work. Ccleaner is one of the safer programs, but if used by someone that doesn't understand what they are doing can cause serious problems.

I understand what MickinPlymouthUK is using Ccleaner for, but as Louis pointed out, you can accomplish the same thing using Windows applications.

My concern isn't so much for what MickinPlymouthUK is using this for, but for those out there reading these posts that aren't aware of the dangers of registry cleaners. In the past the staff here has tried to discourage the use of these programs because the number of members that have had serious problems because they didn't understand the proper use of these programs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 rohandasean

rohandasean

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

Oh, Thanks a lot dc3 ! I'll think I'll refrain from using the Registry Cleaner part from now !

Could pass me a link somewhere on instructions how to clean a registry manually ? Or should we refrain from touching it only ?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Unless there is something specific that you need to change and know what you are doing, I would suggest that you not go there.

If you do decide to make changes in the registry you should back it up with a program like ERUNT.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

To be honest...the idea of "cleaning the registry" is something that was developed by the persons selling/providing those types of products to unsuspeccting, unknowing computer users.

The registry is not something that has to be "cleaned" routinely, any more than your hard drive is.

Below are some links that may clarify.

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l74.html#backup

Windows Registry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry

Using regedit in Windows Registry - http://mikescomputerinfo.com/xpregistry.htm

Windows registry information for advanced users - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Windows registry information for advanced users - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

In general...the typical user may need to manually edit the registry...to overcome certain computer situations. My general rule is to only attempt well-documented registry edits...and only when I am dealing with a specific problem that requires such. An example of such...using regedit to delete the upper and lower filters on situations where an optical drive has disappeared or otherwise developed some problem that may be cured by this specific edit.

I only wish that users who develop interest in any aspect of the registry....would educate themselves before going too far...and display that same interest in protecting their systems from malware, keeping the system performing well, etc.

Louis

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

I only started using CCleaner a few years ago because somebody told me it's an essential to get rid of any unwanted gunk that builds up on our systems, but from what some of you guys seem to be saying, I don't need it (and progs like it) at all. is that right?
Won't gunk build up?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

Back when a fortyGB hdd was a large drive keeping as much usable space was important. But with the larger hdds of today this problem isn't as important. It use to be with the smaller hdds you needed at least fifteen percent free space on you hdd for swap space, now with the larger hdds it's not often an issue.

The "gunk" that accumulates is negligible, you usually won't notice a difference in performance. Just do the basics, defrag the hdd, and use the Disk Cleanup application that Windows provides and you should be good.

#12 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

.....The "gunk" that accumulates is negligible, you usually won't notice a difference in performance. Just do the basics, defrag the hdd, and use the Disk Cleanup application that Windows provides and you should be good.

Thanks, in that case I might as well uninstall CCleaner if it's not much good for anything in these days of huge-capacity hdds. (Mine's 250GB i believe)

PS- How often shall I Defrag/ Cleanup, once a week? Month? And the procedure takes hours doesn't it?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 23 August 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#13 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Anybody?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Sorry for the delay, I have a life outside of these forums, and it takes up some of my valuable time. :thumbsup:

Defragging is one of those things that you list under "it all depends". But under normal use, what ever that is, once a month should be good. Don't forget to use the Disk Cleanup as well.

Edited by dc3, 28 August 2010 - 07:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users