Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

do you think this is a decent price

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 captaintravis

captaintravis

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:31 AM

i probably sound like an idiot when i say this but one of the reasons i want this or something along the lines of it is because they have a sick look to them. and since i dont know much about computers i figured id ask here. i was wondering if this is worth the money, and im definately not doubting that it'll be enough i wanted outside oppinions... im going to use this for 100gugs of music if not more, ill be downloading some games, movies, etc., at this point i dont play to many games but then again my computer is crap as of now. i usuall have quite a few things running at once like a few internet tabs, my music folder, a download or two, itunes and a game... i just wanted to know how good this would be or if theres anything i should change imput is appretiated

Starting Price $2,334.00
$2,024.00 with the $310 discount

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Video Card 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5870

LCD Panel 17-inch WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 (900p)

Memory 6GB Memory (1x 2GB, 1x 4GB DDR3)

Hard Drive 640GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD

Internal Optical Drive Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

or should i go with
Watch High Definition with an internal Blu-Ray player
Upgrade to Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) + $150.00

Wireless Cards Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO Technology

1 Year Basic Service Plan

Space Black - Anodized Aluminum

Personalized Nameplate(sketchytravis)

Terra Green keyboar lighting

Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed

Also Included:
Sound Options Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
Bluetooth Internal Wireless Bluetooth® 2.1 with EDR
Automatic Updates Automatic Updates: On
Standard Nameplate Trigger Thank you for Purchasing Alienware
Power Adapters 150 Watt Adapter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 captaintravis

captaintravis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:34 AM

and i was wondering around what the battery life is the site didnt say, does it come with a wall charger... and is it worth it to buy a longer lasting batery. also i was wondering if the m17x still had the fingerprint scanner or facial recognition features

Edited by captaintravis, 20 August 2010 - 03:49 AM.

#3 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

It's definitely a solid laptop. For what you're probably going to be doing - it should be great.

You can always look at the CyberPower PC notebooks as well. I personally like them more than Alienware, but that's just personal preference.

Alienware is pretty much just Dell with better looks.

I can't figure out how many cells the m17x has... If you're playing a game, though, you won't get as much usage as if you were say, browsing the internet.

#4 captaintravis

captaintravis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

idk about it though because ive recenly heard of alot of problems with alienware and dell... everything from giving you clearly bad parts to crappy customer service. does anyone have personal experience with that/them?

#5 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

I've kind of heard that, that's why I said look at CyberPower PCs. ;)

They're probably cheaper, too.

#6 captaintravis

captaintravis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

thanks for the input

#7 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

I've heard terrible things about CyberpowerPC, especially regarding their customer service.
See here: http://www.epinions.com/Cyberpower_Inc_Onl...Stores_Services
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#8 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

I've heard terrible things about CyberpowerPC, especially regarding their customer service.
See here: http://www.epinions.com/Cyberpower_Inc_Onl...Stores_Services

Oh dang... I should of looked at that before I suggested it; all I knew was they have good products. Thanks RainbowSix!!

#9 captaintravis

captaintravis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

anyone know of any brands i should check out cuz i kinda wanna get back into gaming and even if i dont have a fast strong reliable laptop

#10 SlickNic

SlickNic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

idk about it though because ive recenly heard of alot of problems with alienware and dell... everything from giving you clearly bad parts to crappy customer service. does anyone have personal experience with that/them?

I work at a major university that is essentially a Dell shop, Dell certainly has some failures and in a large environment you see the failures that are just flukes and those that are not. Dell seems to have a middle of the pack failure rate from my experience. Have a look at this En Gadget link on laptop failure rates. [post="Engadget Laptop Failure Rates"]http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/[/post]

I do have one story I was pretty impressed with though, I personally owned a Dell TV (one of their flat screen LCD's) and it died a year out of warranty from what I found out was a common failure. I called Dell and got the standard reps from somewhere that doesn't speak English and can't do more than read from scripts, of course they were useless. So I jumped on the Dell forums and found a group of people with the same issue and there was a Dell rep monitoring those forums and he had a brand new TV shipped to my door within a few days! On the work side Dell seems great, quick parts and no complains about shipping whatever we need out to us but Dell fixing my home TV that was a year out of warranty really says to me that Dell is committed to customer service even if I haven't been impressed with their phone support.

#11 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

^The link is broken.
Here are the failure rate charts:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11...pple.4th.place/

Edited by RainbowSix, 26 August 2010 - 11:47 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#12 captaintravis

captaintravis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

thanks for the charts... but i kinda wana compare other gaming laptops/companies do you guys know any decent ones to check out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users