Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Motherboard Problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

You may have noticed i've been posting alot. I just built a computer and can't get it up and running. It turns on for five secods and then turns off. the specs are in my other post. I thin there might be a loose consistor (not sure its called a consistor but it looks like a small battery.) on the motherboard. its still connected but would this cause isses.

Edited by Rabbuk, 01 November 2005 - 06:26 PM.

Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:24 PM

Can you provide a link to your other post? (Copy the URL then enter it as a link in your reply).

If you are speaking about a capacitor, there are known problems caused by motherboard capacitors that are leaking, but whether this applies to capacitors that feel loose I'm not sure. There is an article on this problem here. (thanks to Leurgy for the link)

If the board is new I'd be looking to return it for replacement, just in case.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 01 November 2005 - 07:25 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

its the post 3 down from this one
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34086/hey-im-having-some-major-issues/

Edited by Rabbuk, 01 November 2005 - 07:32 PM.

Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:26 PM

Hi Rabbuk!

Whoa! First, let's start with keeping all the problems in one place. You can even go to your other posts, copy them, and paste them into this one if you'd like. Troubleshooting a new system is a bit hair-raising at first, but you'll get the hang of it pretty darned quickly.

I haven't read all of your posts, so please excuse me if I repeat something that was already said.

First, ensure that you're properly grounded before going into the case - I lost a hard drive that way.

Next - check to make sure that your motherboard isn't shorting out on the tray that it sits on. The easiest way to check this is to 1) use the proper fasteners that came with the mobo, and 2) to slide a piece of paper underneath to see if it snags on anything.

Next, double and triple check that anything that's plugged into the motherboard. Check the connectors and clean them - plug them back in a couple of time to make sure they're set right. Check the RAM to make sure it's seated properly. Etc, etc, etc...

Next, double check anything that's plugged in anywhere else - this is by far the largest problem with computer assembly that I've seen (with my builds also).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 04:33 AM

Hey Rab,

I concur with the above posts. This smells like a connection or compatibility issue. Please list your computer components so we can rule out compatibility.

After that we will be able to tell you how to hook up everything professionally.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#6 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hey Rab,

I concur with the above posts. This smells like a connection or compatibility issue. Please list your computer components so we can rule out compatibility.

After that we will be able to tell you how to hook up everything professionally.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:

i fixed it thanks
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:04 AM

Great! What was it, and how did you fix it? That'll help someone else (in the future) when the search the forums for their problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users