Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Balck Screen Error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rohandasean

rohandasean

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:27 AM

I own a Windows XP SP3.
This problem has been occurring for past 2 days. Twice out of the 10 times I started my PC, Its starts with a black screen with "American Megatrends" as the heading. Then there is a list of all devices recognised like the Hard Disk, CD ROM and Sony DVD Writer.

And a message as " Press F8 for BB popup".
And in the end, there are two messages, 1) press F1 to load BIOS setup and 2) Press F2 to load with default values and settings

I press F2 and continue and my computer works fine, except that the clock gets reset. What exactly is the problem and What should I do ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajcomputers

ajcomputers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

It sounds like the CMOS battery may need changing on the motherboard. This allows your computer to remember CMOS/BIOS settings such as the date and time and information on installed hardware. If you open the case you should be able to see a small circular silver battery on the main circuit board. This pops out of a holder and can be usually be bought from DIY/hardware stores.

Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

#3 rohandasean

rohandasean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:50 AM

oh, Thanks a lot.
Even i think there is a fault with that cause the remaining error messages were

"Pleae enter setup to recover BIOS setting." and "CMOS Date/Time not set". Then I went into Setup in the first MAIN tab, and found this.

Primary IDE master Not detected
'' slave not detected
SATA 1 & 3 Were detected while 2 & 4 were not.

So it'll be CMOS battery only right ? how much does one cost ?

#4 CUJimmie

CUJimmie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

If it's an ordinary Lithium cell battery, they're only a couple of quid.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

After replacing the battery...you will have to reset the date/time in the BIOS. After doing this, save the changes (typically, by hitting F10) and the system should then leave the BIOS and boot into XP.

Louis

#6 rohandasean

rohandasean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

After replacing the battery...you will have to reset the date/time in the BIOS. After doing this, save the changes (typically, by hitting F10) and the system should then leave the BIOS and boot into XP.

Louis

Thanks a lot Luis. So after replacing the battery, I only have to enter the date/time ? Nothing to be entered in the remaining options like primary IDE master and slave and those SATAs ?

The link you gave is excellent, though again the same problem. Since my battery is already dead, I dont know what was BIOS settings are. Therefore, after replacing the battery, I dont know what BIOS settings to enter !!!

Edited by rohandasean, 20 August 2010 - 11:11 AM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Once the cmos battery has been replaced with a new one, enter your BIOS setup utility, correct the date and time.

Next, high-light primary master and hit enter, it should auto detect your primary master and name the drive by its hardware I.D. name.

Move down to the next one which is primary slave and do the same procedure here.

Same procedure with secondary master and secondary slave.

If nothing shows up under one of them, it means this channel is not used by a device.

After that, choose from the main menu the option to load system defaults and finally, once everything has been set, use the F10 key to exit and save to cmos and you're done.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 August 2010 - 11:53 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 rohandasean

rohandasean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Once the cmos battery has been replaced with a new one, enter your BIOS setup utility, correct the date and time.

Next, high-light primary master and hit enter, it should auto detect your primary master and name the drive by its hardware I.D. name.

Move down to the next one which is primary slave and do the same procedure here.

Same procedure with secondary master and secondary slave.

If nothing shows up under one of them, it means this channel is not used by a device.

After that, choose from the main menu the option to load system defaults and finally, once everything has been set, use the F10 key to exit and save to cmos and you're done.

Bruce.

:thumbsup: Thanks a real lot !!

Just a doubt, how do I get the Hardware ID name ?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

Just a doubt, how do I get the Hardware ID name ?

It will display in the field next to each master and slave channel once its been detected by the BIOS.

It might look something like this.

Primary Master= 53073H4

Which in this case is a 30 Gb maxtor hard drive.

Hope this helps. If not let me know, I'll show you a screen shot off of the web.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 August 2010 - 02:36 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention this...those instructions for replacing the CMOS battery are slightly behind-the=times when it comes to CMOS settings. There is no need to write down any.

Once the date/time are correct, just select the "system defaults" and the CMOS will automatically reflect the settings designed to give best chance of proper boot. Been that way for many a year now.

Louis

#11 rohandasean

rohandasean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

I thank thee fellas. I replaced my battery, and it was a bit easy after reading all those procedures. Went for "default settings" and dont have reset time now !

Thanks a lot !

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

You're welcome, I hope everything is Okay now.

Happy computing!

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users