Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 RolyG

RolyG

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:04 AM

Hi All,

I wonder if there might be someone who could run me through the tricks to speed up my comps boot up process please?

I am running a Media Centre version of XP and have tried to minimise the number of applications that try to run at start up but not sure whether I have done this well or not. One thing that really bugs me is that Security Centre starts before my antivirus program, Normas, does, so I always get an error message sitting in my sys tray. Normans takes an age to load up and in the meantime my hard drive seems to be going mental.

Any help would be much appreciated.

RolyG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I would start with running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot...the command will execute and then boot into XP.

I don't know anything about the AV program you mentioned...but there are many programs that work at least equally well. You might try Avast and Avira Free, to name two.

Louis

#3 RolyG

RolyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks Louis,

I will give that a go and report back.

Cheers

RolyG

#4 Willsor

Willsor

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

From past experience:

Defragging will help,
Open My Computer.
Right-click the local disk volume that you want to defragment, and then click Properties.
On the Tools tab, click Defragment Now.
Click Defragment.

Reducing the amount of icons you have CAN help, but only if you have a lot. If you still want them, try just making a new folder on your desktop entitled "shortcuts" and drag and drop your unwanted desktop items in there. At least they will still sort of be there, should this not work.

Another thing, go start>run> type msconfig.
go to the startup tab on the box that popped up. Here you can reduce the amount of things that start when the computer starts. I do not recommend unchecking any who's location begins with "HKLM/Software/" as these are usually quite important. You really just have to use your head to decided which to stop, although if you don't know what something is, just leave it alone, whether it is checked or unchecked. For example "PG2" is one on my list, which refers to Peer Guardian 2. Since Peer Guardian 2 is not an important thing for me, I can uncheck it.
Go the Boot.ini tab up top, and on timeout, set it lower than 30s. I don't know why this helps, it just does ;) mine is set at 3s, and nothing bad has become of it yet, but I want a second opinion on doing this before you try it.

Hope it helped

#5 MowGreen

MowGreen

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi All,

I wonder if there might be someone who could run me through the tricks to speed up my comps boot up process please?

I am running a Media Centre version of XP and have tried to minimise the number of applications that try to run at start up but not sure whether I have done this well or not. One thing that really bugs me is that Security Centre starts before my antivirus program, Normas, does, so I always get an error message sitting in my sys tray. Normans takes an age to load up and in the meantime my hard drive seems to be going mental.

RolyG

Is the system opted into Microsoft Update ? If it is, Microsoft Update (MU) will be listed on the Start Menu along with Windows Update (WU).
Or, you can open Internet Explorer, click Tools on the Menu bar at the top, click Windows Update.

If the system is opted into MU this will show in the Address Bar update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate
If it's not, this will show update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate
Steve Wechsler (akaMowGreen)
MS-MVP 2003-2011
Windows Expert - IT Pro
Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

#6 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi All,

RolyG

I typically see this on systems with not enough memory. How much memory are you running with? (Right click my computer, goto properties) It will sometimes also give the "Firewall not enabled" warning, before Windows firewall service gets a chance to start. You could try a "clean boot" by disabling all non-microsoft services. If it helps your problem you can re-enable each service 1 by 1 to try and discover which is causing the most hang at startup.

#7 RolyG

RolyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

Hi All,

Tried the chkdsk comand and it did run. Has not made any improvement though I am afraid. My system has 1 gb ram if that makes a difference. I wonder if I should use memtest to see if it is working properly.

RolyG

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:42 AM

Hello, you can try the above mentioned suggestions, one that sticks out is disabling programs that start up while your computer is still trying to load your operating system.

The more icons you have next to your system clock are programs that start the same time windows is still loading up, this process slows down your boot process.

Having programs like yahoo messenger, msn messenger loading slow your computers boot time down.

Using msconfig is mainly used for trouble shooting programs that startup automatically, how-ever the best solution is to go each program's settings and disable the start program when windows starts options.

It is better to only have an anti-virus program, or a program that may create a wireless connection to your router, if you use wireless, most of the others you can disable from starting up as they both slow down the startup process and use up critical resources at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 August 2010 - 02:43 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 MowGreen

MowGreen

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

RolyG wrote:

Has not made any improvement though I am afraid.

The reason I asked if the system was opted in to Microsoft Update (MU) is because there is a known issue with XP systems with MU eating up memory and XP systems becoming completely bogged down or unresponsive. This usually occurs on XP systems with 512 MB or less but, some posters have stated that their systems have over 1 GB of memory installed and it's affecting them.

So, if the system is opted in to MU I strongly suggest that for now, opt out of it by opening Internet Explorer, click Tools > Windows Update (WU)
After WU loads click the Change settings link in the left frame.
When the right frame loads scroll down towards the bottom and you'll find the option to opt out of MU.

Microsoft is aware of the issue with XP systems and MU. They've told us it's " Prir1 " and should have a resolution for it soon.
The key words being "should" and "soon".

Edited by MowGreen, 22 August 2010 - 12:07 PM.

MS-MVP 2003-2011
Windows Expert - IT Pro
Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

#10 RolyG

RolyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thanks MowGreen,

Tried what you suggested but the opt out was not on the page as described. I think that I may have disabled it via Security Centre but we shall see.

Thanks for the response.

RolyG

#11 MowGreen

MowGreen

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thanks MowGreen,

Tried what you suggested but the opt out was not on the page as described. I think that I may have disabled it via Security Centre but we shall see.

Thanks for the response.

RolyG

If the system is opted into Microsoft Update then there will be a shortcut to it on the Start Menu, usually in the second column when one hovers the mouse on
(All) Programs or clicks on it to expand the Start Menu.
The WindowsUpdate.log will have an entry that is the same as this -

ServiceId = {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}

The above ServiceID indicates that the system is opted into Microsoft Update.
If the system is opted into Windows Update, the entry will be ServiceID = {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
The most recent entries are towards the bottom of the log.

Edited by MowGreen, 23 August 2010 - 11:43 AM.

MS-MVP 2003-2011
Windows Expert - IT Pro
Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

#12 RolyG

RolyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

Ahhh... I see. Then no my system has no MS Update option. The Windows Update option is in the top left hand column of this list but I assume that this is standard.

Thanks for your continued help.

I wonder if I should remove and reload my antivirus program, Normans?

RolyG

#13 MowGreen

MowGreen

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

I don't know if Norman is slowing the system down but I did read a recent AV test product review and it does not rate very highly -
http://www.av-test.org/certifications

May I suggest that you empty your User Account's Temp folder after first rebooting to ensure that all software that was installing has finished installing.
Then go to Start > Run, in the Open: line type in %temp%
Click OK or press Enter.
Delete all contents of the Temp folder.
Leave the contents in the Recycle Bin for about 3 - 5 days. If no issue with recently installed software or upgrades to installed software appears, empty the Recycle Bin.

Now open Internet Options in the Control Panel. Under Browsing history, click the Settings tab. Set IE's cache to 25 MB at most. Click OK.
Click the Advanced tab.
Scroll all the way down to Security. Put a mark next to " Empty Temporary Internet Files when the browser is closed "
Click Apply, click OK.

QED: What is the size of the Hard Drive and how much free space is left ?

You can reclaim free space by removing the uninstallation subfolders created when updates were installed and, if it's still present and you've already slipstreamed any Service Packs installed to the original XP CD and there are no issues with the installed SP, you can delete the ServicePack subfolder of the Windows directory.

I want to Save Space and delete unnecessary files after installing a Windows Update patch or Service Pack.

Now, after removing the above, right click My Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose Manage.

Locate Disk Fragmenter in the left frame and have it Analyze and, if need be, Defragment the Hard Drive.

Edited by MowGreen, 25 August 2010 - 10:47 AM.

MS-MVP 2003-2011
Windows Expert - IT Pro
Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

#14 RolyG

RolyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

HI MowGreen,

Carried out the suggestions. The link that you gave me would not work for some reason so could not delete the unistall folders.

My hard drive has 20 gb used and 34 gb free.

Thanks once again.

RolyG

#15 MowGreen

MowGreen

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

Sorry about that RolyG. For the uninstall folder information, try this link: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
I've corrected the previous post so that the link works there, too.

Deleting those uninstall subfolders, while reclaiming space, will also cause fragmentation. The amount of framentation will depend upon the amount of space taken up by the update uninstall subfolders and their contents.
So, suggest you check to see if the system needs to be defragged afterwards.

BTW, did you uninstall Norman AV and replace it ? This page describes how to uninstall it and also offers a removal tool that I'd suggest you run after uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. The tool is called DelNVC5.exe and you can click that link to download it directly .

A worthwile replacement is the latest edition of Avast and, btw, it's free.
MS-MVP 2003-2011
Windows Expert - IT Pro
Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users