Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt jmlbm.sys, startup repair fails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zeilakin

Zeilakin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

having the same problem, but file jmlbm.sys is corrupt,
started with a antimalware doctor infection out of no where, and a message saying
Windows has encountered a critical error and will log off in 1 min.
60 sec later comp restarts and the trouble begins,
normal,safemode, any other mode jumps straight to a files loading program for startup repair
the startup repair either hangs forever or will say unable to repair automaticly

finally after alot of trying different things, a vista repair disk gets me to a scan with a log that says the driver/jmlbm.sys is corrupt
at a complete lost as to how to fix, ive gotten into a command promt but it either comes up as X:/windows/system32 or X:/Sources
and doesnt seem like i can change to C:

thank you for any help in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zeilakin

Zeilakin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

hello, ive been searching the forums and notice alot of people in the last few days having the same/simular problem, but my file jmlbm.sys is corrupt, so i assume its a random 5 letter+.sys type

started with a antimalware doctor infection out of no where, and a message saying
Windows has encountered a critical error and will log off in 1 min.
60 sec later comp restarts and the trouble begins,
normal,safemode, any other mode jumps straight to a files loading program for startup repair
the startup repair either hangs forever or will say unable to repair automaticly

finally after alot of trying different things, a vista repair disk gets me to a scan with a log that says the driver/jmlbm.sys is corrupt
at a complete loss as to how to fix, ive gotten into a command promt but it either comes up as X:/windows/system32 or X:/Sources
and doesnt seem like i can change to C:

thank you for any help in advance!

update: after getting into cmd and messing aroudn a bit, i have more information
tried to run sfc.exe and got a windows cannot perfomr this action message, verified that i WAS running as administrator

also tried to run chkdsk, went fine, but chkdsk /f would not waork, failed with an unspecified error.

ran tests on memory, HDD, processor, all cleared
at this point it seems im still infected somewhere
i was able to open notepad with cmd and using save as can browse files and see that my files are still there, and can look at system files, but unsure of what im looking for.

seems that i am unable to run msconfig, i get a you dont have permission message, and complex programs have a .dll error

Edited by Zeilakin, 20 August 2010 - 05:02 AM.

#3 ajcomputers

ajcomputers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

Hi Zeilakim,

You could try a Linux based antivirus bootable rescue c.d. I've used this one before:

Avira rescue cd

You will however need to find a working computer in order to burn the ISO file to C.D.

Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Wait for one of malware people to post back here.
They'll fix your problem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Zeilakin

Zeilakin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

ok, after a long and strenuous process or connecting the dirve to anothr computr and running scans, editing files manually and removing the trojans, ive hit a wall.

the computer is still trying to load jmlbm.sys at startup located under c:/windows/system32/drivers/jmlbm.sys
this appears to be hte reason for starup fail.

so now my question is, is this a legitimate file? or is there a way to edit a system file for what drivers the computer attempts to load on startup?

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi Zeilakin, did you try to run System Restore from the Recovery Environment?

EDIT~ I merged the post you made in another topic plus the replies to that with this topic.

Edited by elise025, 21 August 2010 - 10:16 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users