Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Firewall Settings ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

I recently had a new motherboard installed, hoping to get rid of wired network adapter resets every 5 minutes. With the new 7 installation, I get a notice nearly every time I try to go to a new page : Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. I click the "diagnose the connection problems", and in turn the Windows network diagnostics. I always get the "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem" message.Clicking on the choice "Explore additional options", causes a very fleeting image of a page with more choices, but it usually immediately closes itself. When this happens, the ball showing motion on the original "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page" notice starts spinning, and I usually get the page I originally clicked to go to.
I happened to go to the Windows firewall allowed programs page and found the two columns showing "public" and "Private"
and the list of items to check or not check. I haven't changed anything yet. Does Bleeping or any individual have a list of the preferred check marks for each column ? I have no idea that this is my problem, but it seems something in the Operating system immediately throws up a block, and then after going through the mentioned pages that pop up, reconsiders and allows the page .
Thoughts would be appreciated. Could one of the dozens of windows 7 updates be causing this??

I am running this through a Netgear DGN 1000 combo modem/router to provide wireless to a notebook for the wife. I thought buying a router with the modem built in would eliminate the problems associated with modems and routers "talking to each other"

I have Avast, MBAM,spyware blaster, ccleaner,windows defender. When I changed boards, I upgraded to 4 gigs memory. I haven't had time to add back my normal stuff. The memory is virtually 95 % free space.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

There is a Compatibility View for older websites to be displayed better in IE8. The icon is next to the refresh icon in the address bar and looks like a broken page. You can try this and see if it displays the pages better. Personally, I've given up on IE8 and switched to Google Chrome. Its much faster and if you choose the option to send error reports to Google, when it does crash (maybe twice a month) it doesn't set an error in the Reliability Index.

#3 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the advice Zuhl. I tried that , and got no relief.
Awhile ago, for the first time since the repair, I got a notice from Yahoo stating I needed to upgrade my browser. I clicked on the button, and got a page stating this could not be done for my OS. It mentioned earlier MS operating systems., but not mine.

I'm going to back and try to get definitions of each Win 7 update that the computer shop installed, when they reinstalled Win 7.
With 75 views in less than 24 hours, others must need answers too.

#4 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Since I have received so few responses, and still have this problem, I went to MS "ASK" online. Regarding the problem "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage", they have several pages devoted to this, and multiple potential fixes given by Microsoft "Experts". The same question is listed numerous times regarding the same problem. Each time, MS really makes an effort, but it's obviously not working for everyone, including me. I have tried practically all the fixes even in the order some are given in lists. One question [ same one repeated] "IE cannot open this web page, has had over 80,000 views since 1/2010. From the responses, it fails significantly.
Recently I saw the one offered below. The guy has trouble with English, and I don't know much about the registry , so I am afraid to try it without some help. I asked at the ASK site, but have not received anything.

Here is his posted suggestion:

1. Add a RECEIVE TIMEOUT DWORD entry with a value of [ <number of seconds>] 1000 in the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS

For example if you want the timeout duration to be 8 minutes, set the value of the RECEIVE TIMEOUT entry to 480,000 (<480>1000 )
2. Restart the computer.

He changed his own computer to one(1) minute.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY computer:
Windows Ultimate signature edition , purchased genuine MS disk. Bought in 10-09. first installed in 1-2010. Worked fine until about April. Clean installed 3 times trying to fix this.started from nothing. No old files listed.
Installed Avira immediately , before MS updates. Read each update, before downloading.
Used Malware bytes, superantispyware, Spyware blaster, spybot. Found a virus/Java problem,one time, about 10 attempts ago.Removed virus. Removed OS. and Clean installed again. Left out Java entirely for the time being. Installed adobe , reader, acrobat.
Turned off windows firewall, defender. no fix. Turned off router/modem firewall. Changed modem, leaving out router. Replaced motherboard as mentioned above. Bought new brand with no Intel stuff. New & different BIOS.
All these attempts make me think it's something like changing a number in the registry. It probably got screwed up by an update, but which one?? Or a combination of two.
Thanks again.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

Just a thought. Remove all add ons in I.E. Some times tool bars and such will cause problems.

#6 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Bear.
I tried that again after you suggested it, but no improvement. It was also in that list of 9 things to try that the MS engineers provided. I'm running no add-ons now, but had to go thru the little routine to get here: Open browser,type in My bleeping, click , gives "Cannot open web page,click"diagnose connection probs",opens win.network diagnostics> troubleshooting couldn't identify the prob> explore additional options,,click, you get a very brief page,then you are back to where you typed My Bleeping, and the windows/Microsoft "ball" in upper left spins a bit, then you get the opening Bleeping page, that should have opened when you clicked "search" the first time before you had to make the additional clicks going thru the Misc. crap.
I've flushed the tcp/ip stack according to MS directions. Turned off IE8, and restarted, and turned back on.That's supposed to fix any IE8 problems in that prog.
Maybe someone will figure it out.
Thanks again.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/ Type this into you Starch search and see if lets you get there. If it does you can go to Bleeping Computer from there. Check at the top and see if it is using I.E. Sometimes some left over bad things will not let I.E. to work. They do this trying to stop you from downloading antivirus, antimalware, and antispyware programs.

#8 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

I agree with Zuhl3156, I too have given up on IE 8. Honestly, IE is the only browser that is giving problem. Crashing here and there. I am currently on Chrome and Opera.
I got to say, anything bad about it. It does crash but its something like 1:100 compared to IE.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#9 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:43 AM

Hello guys:
I typed in the microsoft address as you provided. It opened fine. Next I typed in My Bleeping, and got the " can't open web page." I'm liking the change browser idea more and more. I was reading on Tech Radar.com and found an interesting statement. " Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc told the world in March that " Service pack 1 ( due out early 2011) only includes minor updates, among which are previous updates that are already delivered through Windows Update" That's really encouraging news.

I think I'd be better off trying google chrome for awhile.

Thanks for your help. I'll check here to see if anything shows up that I have not already tried.

Thanks again. :huh:

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

There is a chance that something has changed in your firewall settings. How to set Windows firewall to default might be a option.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users