Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcut Problem And Slow Running Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Midder

Midder

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:50 PM

I keep getting a shortcut problem that says this

The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Adobe Reader Speed Launch.Ink.disabled'
refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource
is unavailable, and then try again.

The error keeps popping up every few minutes, and continues to do so even if the message is allready displayed. I don't know why it's doing this, or how to solve it.

My computer is also running pretty slow once again, so I restart it and everything seems to be ok for a little bit, then it will act weird again.

If anyone could help me figure these out and fix them, I would appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:21 PM

What version of Adobe Acrobat/ Reader do you have?
If it's one of the latest versions (>5.0) see if you can find some configuration settings to turn off Speed Launch. I uninstalled version 6 because of all the unneccessary internet linked contorsions it wanted to go through every time I tried to open a document, so I can't tell you where to find the settings.

If it's a serious problem for you uninstall the app entirely while you search for the configuration setting.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:41 PM

If you have a problem doing what Rimmer told you, completely uninstall Adobe reader and then install a new copy.

#4 lorenzo_CA

lorenzo_CA

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:23 PM

I have the exact same problem. I get 30 or more of those popup messages going at a time... "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'xyz' refers to is unavailable... blah blah blah...

Mine lists many different applications, not just adobe acrobat, so it is a general problem and not just a problem with adobe.

If anyone has the fix to this problem, please help.

Thanks.

Lorenzo_CA

PS: It also takes down my internet connection by not alowing me to see the connection window or just weird problems related to my connection (DSL in may case).

Thanks again.

#5 mikelebus

mikelebus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

I can't even get as far as uninstalling adobe. Whenever I try to do anything with adobe (whether it is installing it, uninstalling it, open it) I get the same "click ok to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'adobe reader 7.0 msi' in the box below" error message. It is as if the programme is there but not there at the same time!! Any suggestions?

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:47 AM

lorenzo_CA - I do no t know if your problem is exactly the same as the one in this thread but one thing you have to look at is how difficult it is to do two problems on the same or nearly the same problem in the same thread. It would be a lot easier if you started your own thread and you would probably get better service.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

Have you just re-installed Adobe just before starting to get this error message?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users