Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo IE Browser Hijack - Opens Ad Sites

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 rboone2020

rboone2020

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hi Folks,

Every few months I visit the folks, and attempt to repair my mother's computer. We have installed all the typical protections and instructed her in safe browsing, but she tends to click on any window that opens. With that, the browser (IE 8 from Yahoo) is hijacked. It will open any number of pages, sometimes in the calling tab, other times in a new window. Your help in clearing it up would be appreciated, especially for anyone willing to rush a bit - I fly out on Saturday.

I have followed the instructions on Bleepingcomputer, and will post a DDS log. I tried to get a GMER log, but the scan would not complete, or was taking hours to complete, hard to tell the difference.

Again, thanks for your help.

Randy

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS.txt   14.76KB   7 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rboone2020

rboone2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Wow. More than 60 folks checking out the topic. Must be of interest. However, I have run out of time to work on the machine. Please close this thread.

Randy

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

As this issue appears to be resolved I am closing the topic. Please send me (or any other Moderator) a Personal Message (PM) if you would like the topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users