Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy Disk Is Flipping Out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:50 PM

Hello,

I have 2 MS Office files on a 3.5" floppy disk. One is an Excel file, and the other is MS Word. When I open up a windows explorer and click on one of the files, the floppy drive makes noise as if it was trying to read the file. It continues making that noise for maybe more than a minute.

I was able to get the Word file to open by starting MS Word, and then opening a file that was saved on (3.5 floppy) disk. From there I was able to do a "save as" and copy the files to my C: drive.

Any idea why this would happen? Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be a virus? :thumbsup:

Please help me fix my flippant floppy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

An Update: I ran Symantec AV on the disk and it found no problems. I ran Trend Micro on it and it found no problems. I tried scandisk. I got some goofy message saying that scandisk is not installed. So I tried chkdsk and it scanned it. There were no erros, no bytes in bad sectors, etc.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

If you go to 'My Computer' and right click on the A: drive (with the floppy in it) click 'Tools' then 'Check Now'.
Tick both the boxes and 'Start" then Scandisk should check the floppy for you.

Floppies are not a hugely robust medium, easily damaged by heat, magnetid fields, or scratching - it may be the data in that particular file has been corrupted in which case you're out of luck.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:40 AM

You should never open Word or Excel documents directly from the floppy. You should first copy them to your hard drive, then open them. I know it's a pain, but here's why. When you open a Word document, a temporary backup is made in the same place you opened it from which would be your floppy disk. If there isn't enough room to create the backup you can lose the whole document and everything else on the floppy with no recovery options. I have seen this happen more than once and let me tell you it's no fun telling someone their 30 page document for school or work is gone and there is no recovery option.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:24 AM

Another good reason to use a flash drive. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

It is possible that the floppy drive itself is bad. Try opening it in another computer if possible.

Can you open other floppies without problems?

#7 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:10 PM

Forgot to update everyone on this - I solved(perhaps it isn't solved but at least I found a workaround) the problem by ...

of all things...

opening up MS Word, going to file -> open -> A:/ and opening up the document.

The same fix worked for the excel file. After that I was able to open the files by just clicking on the files in the A: drive in Windows Explorer. I just realized that the files I was opening might have merely been cached copies of the ones I opened with the workaround(if that makes sense).

Thank you for helping out. Hope this response proves usefull(or at least entertaining ! ).

Edited by BanditFlyer, 14 November 2005 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users