Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt ecache.sys - won't boot vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Eve84

Eve84

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hello,

I have been having issues with removing the google redirect virus. I was following the steps on how to remove it from a forum and part of that was to run combofix. I realise now that this was a big mistake on my part. Here is what happened:

Ran combofix and it told me it needed to restart to fix certain issues.
Upon restart I now get the error 'Boot critical file c:\windows\system32\drivers\ecache.sys is corrupt' and it won't let me start up Windows Vista (32 bit)

I tried the other options on the screen, ie. run in safe mode, run in safe mode with command prompt etc and it doesn't make a difference. Is there a way to fix ecache.sys? And if not, and I have to format and reinstall windows in its entirety is there a way to save my data on an external harddrive - even though I cant get into windows?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

Hello, and welcome to BleepingComputer!

Please let me know if you have your Vista DVD at hand and/or if you can access the Startup Repair option when you tap the F8 key on startup.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users