Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home Edition continual reboots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ETT1081

ETT1081

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Here is my problem. I have a Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP Home Edition. Recently the machine would not boot, and would start to just reboot. It will show the Windows splash screen and then reboot.... I have run chkdsk /r from recovery console, and nothing. I have a copy of ERD Commander (MS DaRT tools) and I can not get it to see the installed OS. It is a SATA HD and I have loaded the drivers for it, and can see the HD in ERD, but still can't attatch to that OS. I though then to do a repair install of XP, but that will not see the OS to repair. When I log into the recovery console it asks what windows installation I would like to log into, and I see it there, but not when doing the repair install or with ERD. Any suggestion would be great. I know I can always backup and restore, but would not like to have to go through all the trouble of reinstalling everything and all. Also one more note, I have run hardware test with PC Doctor and checked all hardware including HD and all is ok on that from. Again any thoughts would be great. Thank-you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see where you're concentrating mostly on a hard drive issue, but your problem may be related to other issues as well.

I see where you said it gets as far as the windows logo and then reboots, its about this time in the boot cycle that installed hardware is being detected and drivers are being loaded.

This is also when issues with a processor core starts over heating occurs, so I need to ask, when is the last time this computer was cleaned out, from dust and lint?

You need to pay close attention to the heat sink of the processor and the video card heat sink.

Please let me know what you find when you inspect your computer's internal condition.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ETT1081

ETT1081
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

The machine was completely cleaned out during this process. The side is off, all fans running, and all appears good. I have run tests on RAM, HD, CPU, MB, etc. and all come out OK. I have run chkdsk /r and it did fix a few errors, but still will not boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users