Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

web cam spying?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

i saw a guy with a piece of tape over the web cam on his laptop. he said he heard that people could spy on you through it.....true? or paranoid? the only way i know my web cam is on on my laptop is if the green light is on next to it...

Edited by sharpie, 19 August 2010 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

in theory yes. . .There has been controversy over schools using such technology to track stolen laptops, those were on macs though-and in order for someone to do such a thing, they would have to install software into your system in order to do it, through viruses, etc, and even most viruses arnt like that. Chances are highly against anyone spying on you via webcam-unless your laptop is school propertly and/or stolen, and even then not likely-even with the schools that did do it, it was only a couple, and Im pretty sure they don't do it anymore. So as far as your friend goes, Im thinking either his laptop is an apple from those schools, or hes just paranoid.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

i was thinking paranoid and he doesnt have a mac i think he has a dell or hp.

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

I've made a self-rule to never have a webcam I can't unplug. I've heard multiple horror stories about this very subject. This is nothing new.

Edited by RainbowSix, 22 August 2010 - 10:11 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 moaoe

moaoe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hey if someone wanted to spy on me while i was on the computer i don't think i would stop them. if they want to just look at my face all day long. ha let them. hahaha

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

I've made a self-rule to never have a webcam I can't unplug. I've heard multiple horror stories about this very subject. This is nothing new.

if i was on my laptop would the green light next to the web cam come on?

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hey Sharpie,

If you were on the laptop and the green light is on that means the web cam is active if the light is off it means the cam is off, if it is on and you did not turn it on I would scan for malware or look in task manager. You said you have a mac right? If so then I wouldnt worry about it that much unless you physical let someone other than yourself use your lapptop. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 03 September 2010 - 03:27 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users