Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not recognize cd/dvd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prestonfunk

prestonfunk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

When I was burning a CD yesterday, the CD rom started to make a loud whirring noise and then suddenly acted like a CD was not in the computer. I had to restart the computer, and every time I do so now, I get an error message stating that there was a problem starting the winhgy32.rom due to missing the specific module. Now, my computer will not recognize any CD or DVD placed into the rom, blank or written. The computer still recognizes the individual E drive as still being a part of the computer itself, but it will not read anything put into it. I currently use windows 7, was not sure if this is something that anyone has run into before. How in the world do I go about fixing/preventing this. Any help would be very appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2010 - 08:38 PM.
Merged duplicate post from Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

I find no useful information at all...re winhgy or any modification thereof.

In such cases, I would conclude that it may reference a malware item.

The fact that it references a .rom extension indicates that it was in that file format...is also confusing.

Sorry I cannot be more informative, someone else may have a clue.

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First lets assume the drive is okay for now.

So what we will look at next is the registry entries for your drive.

The following procedure is supplied by Microsoft.

(UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS ERRORS)

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows 95, 98, ME or XP. Click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

If this procedure does not help, we're going to be looking at a possible laser issue, which might be resolved by using a cd designed to clean lasers in cd players.
Those can be purchased at any place CDs or DVDs are sold.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 07:46 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users