Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

offline computer... need antiv?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IPT

IPT

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

The intents of this computer is to be offline and as unencumberred as possible for editing large digital photos. I was not going to put any anti-virus software on there to stop the inevitable background running and slowing down things. The ONLY time this will be exposed to anything online would be to upgrade or install an Adobe product or a driver of some sort. No "surfing", I have a rig for that. Is that a bad idea to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

If you don't intend to daily update the security program, it would be useless against the malware
that is created everyday.

I don't see a need for an antivirus program for what you described.

You should include updating all programs and OS on a monthly basis to protect against exploits
when you go online.

Using Firefox browser with NoScript will protect you from "driveby" downloads of malware.

An offline computer can get infected thru flash drives, etc. Another reason to keep your computer updated.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 IPT

IPT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

I've never used Firefox before, but I have heard of it. Is there a safe reliable place to download from to my unprotected computer? Is there a service pack or specific update that I should download and install for Windows 7 ?

Thanks

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,876 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Firefox -- http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/
NoScript--- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722/
Adblock Plus--- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865/

To update Windows 7, simply click on Windows Update in your Start/ All Programs list. It should be there.

I am assuming you have Windows Firewall activated. That should be all that is needed to safely go to the
sites above.

Edited by buddy215, 19 August 2010 - 07:12 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

IMHO if one goes online at any time there should be a anti virus and firewall installed, updated and active. I would also recommend getting updates like Adobe etc. from there website only and watch out for other little goodies that they might try to stick in there, (McAffe, Ask Tool Bar) are two that come to mind. If your computer can be accessed by others, (cd's usb sticks, ect.) you also need security. A good rule is in IMHO; if anything can be connected to a computer in any way you need protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users