Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Keeps Shutting down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dr_drews

dr_drews

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

I hope somebody can help...

I am running AVG 9.0.851, a couple of days ago AVG told me I was infected (I think it was Trojan Generic.XXX or something but can't remember now). I asked it to clean up and it warned me that it was struggling to remove the infection - again, sorry I don't know the exact message.

Anyway, when I restarted I got a couple of error messages, one was due to an invalid registry entry that I managed to clear using HijackThis. The other error is that just about every time I boot up my computer I get a message saying "Windows has encounterd a critical error and will restart in one minute"... as you would expect the computer shuts down in 60 seconds. Now, this happens nearly every time, but occasionally it starts up fine and I have no problem! Earlier tonight it was having the usual problem with the error message and then restarting. I tried removing the Battery (it's a laptop) re-inserting and restarting and... it worked ok, no errors - maybe a co-incidence?

I've been reading the advice on BleepingComputer and I have run (in all different orders and combinations):

AVG
SuperAntiSpyware
MalwareBytes
Autoruns (can't see anything out of the ordinary but am no expert)
HijackThis (got warning message that the "system denied write access to the Hosts file") - log file shown at bottom of this post.

Every time I run these they pick up viruses, they remove them, I restart computer and (usually) I get the "restart in one minute" message. I restart in Safe mode, re-run the virus scanners and go through the whole process again...

Please let mw know if you need more information and how I can provide this.

Please help!

Andy

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 23:07:22, on 19/08/2010
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18928)
Boot mode: Normal

EDIT: Misplaced HJT log removed

Edited by boopme, 21 August 2010 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dr_drews

dr_drews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

a little more information... I keep running SuperAntiSpyware and it is finding Rootkit.Agent/Gen-TDSS. Everytime I think it has removed it but then I restart and run it again and its still there. See link below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/414031968/virus.jpg

Anyone know how I can get rid of it?

Thanks
Andy

#3 dr_drews

dr_drews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

Hi all,

I think I am ok now. I found TDSS Killer and used that and all seems to be working now.

Thanks Anyway.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hello, the series of posts made it look as if you were receiving help.
It would still be a good idea to run an online scan..
ESET
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the ESET Online Scanner button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Export to text file... to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Eset Smart Installer icon on your desktop.
  • Check the "YES, I accept the Terms of Use"
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Scan archives
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push "List of found threats"
  • Push "Export to text file", and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the "<<Back" button.
  • Push Finish
In your next reply, please include the following:
  • Eset Scan Log

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users