Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a Program

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

I have absolutely no knowledge about creating programs but I was interested in learning and I am not sure where to start. I am interested in making a program that is based on a website where employees can log on and select days they are available for overtime. Then administrators can log in and see who is available for each day. With a little more knowledge about it I would probably want to add more features but if I could just get the basic framework of the program up it would be fantastic.

So if anyone can tell me where I can start I would greatly appreciate it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

That's a rather ambitious project for a newbie programmer but you never learn anything by being cautious, right? :D

First thing, you need to decide where you want your program to run. This decision will dictate every other aspect of the project. There are, generally, two choices:

1. a web application that runs in a web browser.
2. a compiled application that runs all by itself on the user's computer.

Depending on which one you choose, you can start working on deciding which tools you will be using. For example, if you chose a web based application then you'd need to decide which web programming platform to choose from, e.g. PHP, ASP.NET, JSP, etc. Your options for a compiled, local application are much, much more varied. There are many hundreds, if not thousands of programming languages out there. Each with its own strengths and weaknesses. A good beginner's language would be one of the variants of the BASIC language. VisualBasic.NET is popular; I prefer a variant called RealBasic, but you may wish to go with VisualBasic since they (Microsoft) offer a free version of the development environment, whereas RealSoftware does not (they do have a 30 day free trial, though.)

Once you've decided on a language, the next step is to learn it! You can check you local adult learning/community college and online for free or cheap classes, or you can just dive into it and learn as you go. Most languages (especially popular ones) have numerous help forums and documentations dedicated to them (Bleeping Computer is great, but it's not specifically geared towards a programming language; you'll find more experts in specialized forums.)

Once you've plunged into a language, the next steps should become clearer.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

I would personally choose web based application (personal choice would be mysql and php). Reason being that it would give easy access to all workers and admins to login on the web site from any internet connected computer (or other device) they want.

While the compiled app has either to run on the same computer or you would have to implement a server, client pair and the client has to be run on everyone's computer. Besides the admins have to take care that server is running all time. Too much work.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

I agree with you there, Romeo. A Web app, in this case, offers numerous advantages over a local, compiled app. As a matter of fact, a local compiled app, again in this case, could be described as merely a very specialized browser that lacks certain features and reinvents the wheel numerous times.

The cardinal rule of programming: don't reinvent the wheel!

And PHP and MySQL would be my choices too, but I didn't want to precipitate a "my tech is bigger than your tech" flamefest :thumbsup:

#5 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users