Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with flash/java/youtube...and other stuff.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 openfaced

openfaced

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hello,

Last week, all of a sudden, videos online stopped playing (youtube, ign.com, etc.). I uninstalled flash player and reinstalled the latest version. No luck. I then went into deep uninstalling (online uninstall, add/remove, delete folders, command prompt, etc.), and then reinstalled. No luck. Then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java. That download kept getting incredibly stuck, but finally went through. I have verified that my flash player and java are up to date and working, and now some online videos are playing. But youtube, other online videos and some java (printing online postage from paypal, etc.) still isn't working.

I've also tried malware bytes, search and destroy, ad-aware, registry fix, restore point, combo fix...no luck. And now I'm even having some other wierd problems such as computer not shutting down (only a couple of times) and downloads getting stuck or not downloading at all. Is it all related....who knows? Besides the videos, java, and some other rare issues, the computer is running fine.

I'm looking for someone who can have me run a diagnostics and see if they can find the problem. Or if anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate the help!

Thank you in advance,

Openfaced

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

You have run a number of programs (notably, a registry cleaner and ComboFix) which are somewhat notorious (IMO) for leaving users of said products with unexpected/undesireable results/consequences.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

What version of IE is installed? If IE is not your browser...what browser are you employing?

Is SP3 installed? Are all subsequent critical updates?

<<I'm looking for someone who can have me run a diagnostics and see if they can find the problem.>>

There is no one diagnostic that I am aware...capable of detecting all the possible things that can go wrong with hardware, software, and the installed operating system. That doesn't include the joker...malware.

However, there are a number of individual diagnostics and/or procedures that can be used to try...note that I say "try"...to determine what may be wrong with a given system.

Louis

#3 openfaced

openfaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thank you for replying. Here are my computer specs:

HP Pavilion a1240n (about 5 years old)
Windows XP
Internet Exploer 8 and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.8
All service packs have been downloaded

My computer is about 5 years old, however I take extremely good care of it (the best I can). I do however work it pretty hard. I am thinking about getting a new system but would like to try and fix this issue first, since the computer works great otherwise.

Any suggestions on how to move forward?

Thanks,

Openfaced

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

Let's start with...Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system. The command will execute and eventually boot into XP.

After it boots into XP...defrag your system partition. Start/Run...type cmd and hit Enter. Type defrag C: and then hit Enter.

Louis

#5 openfaced

openfaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

I actually just defragmented my hard drive yesterday...still having the same results.

Openfaced

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

OK.

I want you to read the instructions for using Event Viewer.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Then, I want you to review your Event Viewer for errors (not warnings, not information items). You can see the detail for any error by double-clicking that line item.

Start with the System tab. Double-click the Type column so that all errors listed are at the top of your detail. Take a screenshot and post that.

Then do the same for Applications tab.

You can then upload both graphics as attachments.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/

Louis

#7 openfaced

openfaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Louis,

I appreciate your help with this. Hopefully this information will assist you in finding the problem.

This forum wouldn't let me attach all the images (there are 6 for the System tab and 2 for the Application tab). Therefore I've uploaded them to my server. Here is the information for my server:

(removed for security reasons)

Once again, thanks for helping.

Openfaced

Edited by openfaced, 21 August 2010 - 10:51 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

Doesn't work for me...don't know if it's a good idea to do things your way.

You can reduce the size of each graphic (using any graphics editor)...and then upload as attachments, if it's the size limitation that's the problem.

Louis

#9 openfaced

openfaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Louis,

Sorry that didn't work, and sorry if that method wasn't to your liking. I thought of resizing the images, but sometimes resizing images with font makes the font unreadable. But it seems to be fine, so here they are.

Hopefully it can lead us in the right direction.

Thanks again,

Openfaced

Attached Files

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

A lot of atapi, Event ID 9 errors...take a look at what others have reported for this: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...api&phase=1.

If you have Roxio software installed, I would uninstall it/reinstall it.

Info on Event ID 7026, Service Control Manager.

For the errors reflected on the Application tab...you have work to do :thumbsup:.

I'm sure that some, if not all, are the same application over and over. You need to take a look at the detail (double-click on appropriate line item) and see what that/those application/applications may be.

Hanging applications typically may indicate either damaged files...or poor coding by the developer. If the files are damaged, uninstall the application and reinstall. If poor coding, see if the developer has posted any updates for that program. Not necessarily a problem...I have a video-editing which has always caused hangs...as long as the user is aware of this quirk/flaw in that program.

Take a look at the detail for the MS.NET application error and post it.

That's enough for now :flowers:.

Louis

#11 openfaced

openfaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

Louis,

I've checked all the application errors and most of them are internet explorer and java. I've already reinstalled java, so I went ahead and reinstalled IE (even though I was sure that wasn't the problem since the errors were occurring in Firefox as well).

The problem is still there, however I am able to see some videos (but totally random). Also, the videos seem to work if I am able to switch the viewing ratio (ex. 360p to 720p). So I'm not sure where I stand. Once again, everything else is fine...no crashes or any other strange occurrances.

As for the event viewer detail you were looking for, I'm not sure which error you are speaking of? I didn't see anything with MS.net?

Any other suggestions?

As always, thanks for the help.

Openfaced

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Take a look at the last graphic...NET service...

Did you uninstall the old .java files?

What are all those atapi errors...has nothing to do with either IE or java.

Louis

#13 openfaced

openfaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Louis,

I can't attach print screen images of the event viewer errors because this post won't allow any more images (and I don't know how to remove the images from previous posts?). So I will copy and paste what the detail for each says:

.net error: "The description for Event ID ( 5000 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: clr20r3, performancecounterinstaller.exe, 3.0.4203.2152, 488f122d, system, 2.0.0.0, 4889de7a, 39f5, 288, system.componentmodel.win32, NIL."

atapi error (all the atapi errors had the same detail. I don't know what it is, but maybe you will...perhaps it's the source?): "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period. For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.""]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."[/url]

As for java, I believe I completely uninstalled and reinstalled, but can you give me instructions on how to get every last file off the pc before I reinstall? Like I've said before, I do believe java has something to do with the problems, since some of it is java based and every time I reinstall java, the download gets really stuck 2 or 3 times before it goes through.

Thanks Louis,

Openfaced

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Worth reading, http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...api&phase=1. I don't know if you were trying to use the CD/DVD drive when all those errors occurred...but I would be concerned. Using the applications mentioned in the link above...can also result in your errors. If any of those apps listed as conflicting with Windows are installed...I suggest uninstalling them.

The .NET error can probably be eliminated...by uninstalling NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 from the system. The NET Framework affects proper functioning of a number of other applications...so I would uninstall the suggested applications.

An easy way to eliminate NET Framework problems is to use This Tool. Running it will remove all versions of NET Framework currently installed. After this is done, then you need to install NET Framework 3.5, SP 1. This will reinstall parts of 2.0 and 3.0, which is OK.

As for java...go to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp and simply update.

Louis

#15 openfaced

openfaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

Louis,

I bought a new computer today. Even though my old pc was working great except for the few issues we were working on, it was becoming a huge waste of time. I've never had a computer issue that I couldn't resolve within 1-3 sessions. I had put about 20-25 hours into this issue (uninstalling, reinstalling, scans, research, etc.) and it leads me to believe there are more "behind the scenes" problems. I usually buy a new pc every 5 years anyway...so it was time.

Thanks for your help, it's too bad we couldn't solve the problem. But there will be more to solve, that's for sure!

Openfaced

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users