Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Icon has disappeared

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 kingarthur2

kingarthur2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

My volume icon on my laptop has disappeared AND I've gone to control panel, "sounds and audio devices" and unchecked then rechecked my "place volume icon in the taskbar". Please help. Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

Does sound still play?

Right click my computer goto manage then to the device manager. Under audio devices what is listed there?

Also how up to date is your computer in terms of ms updates?

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

I have all the current updates and run malawarebytes, norton's, and crap cleaner so I keep it pretty well maintained. When I go under device manager, there is no "audio devices" listed but there is "sound, video and game controller". The first entry under device manger is "batteries". Yesterday while on a conf call via the web, I could hear sound on the computer but when I go to other sites, there is no sound. I have a panasonic toughbook cf 51, windows XP prof, service pack 3. Thanks,

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

This seems to be a prevalent problem with Windosw XP. Enough so that Microsoft has addressed it recently. There's a fairly extensive article on the subject, if you feel so inclined you can read it here.

One quick thing to try is to go to Start> Control Panel> Sound and Audio Devices and make sure that there is a check mark in the Place volune icon in the taskbar.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

I have read the article and this is a little to complicated for me to understand. Is there an easier fix? Checking the "put volume icon in taskbar" doesn't work. Thanks,

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

Re-install your audio device.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#7 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Would I simply to to panasonic's website and get the driver online? All that I have with my computer is a recovery cd since my companies IT department installed everything. Also, will I need to uninstall my current driver (don't know where it is or what's its named) before reinstalling or will reinstalling replace it?

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Download the driver, and try just writing over what is there. Can't hurt.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#9 rootrock

rootrock

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

you can try download.com plenty of audio drivers there type in ac97 audio driver

#10 rootrock

rootrock

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

edit:)

Edited by rootrock, 23 August 2010 - 12:31 AM.

#11 rootrock

rootrock

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/no_sound check out this it is sure to work maybe

Edited by rootrock, 23 August 2010 - 12:30 AM.

#12 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the link but it did not find any problem. I have a feeling that if I could get the icon to reappear, the sound would work since its worked on a webinar using windows media. I do have "start up lite" on my computer, don't know if I some how stopped the icon from appearing.(I'm grasping for straws). Thanks,

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

I am going to try and point you to your Panasonic ToughBook CF 51 audio drivers.

http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/dl/search?q=t...p;oc=&lang=

Here is another link. http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/itn/drivers/d...u_en.html#CF-51

Hopefully you will be able to locate the correct audio driver for your computer.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Thanks. I've installed the driver but have not restarted the computer yet. I think my sound works, the icon just won't appear, even if I go to control panel and ask it to place it in the tray. I'll post to let you know if it reappears when I restart. I may have to call panasonic and get their support.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

Okay my friend it is my hope that when you do a restart all is well, if not, I may have some other suggestions for you to try.

Best of luck to you in the mean time.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users