Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not charge battery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jeffryhocker

jeffryhocker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Not sure if this is a Vista thing or a Dell thing but the computer (Insperon 1545) will not charge the battery when plugged into the pwr adapter. When booting there is a message that says the wrong adapter is attached and to use the correct one. Also in the tray when I mouse over the battery icon it says "Plugged in, not charging". I have tried a second pwr cord without success. I have read forums suggesting that Dell uses a 3 wire cord and that the middle pin is there to tell the computer what adapter is attached. The computer runs fine when plugged in to the adapter it just will not share with the battery. I am trying to make the computer ignore the "incompatibility" and allow the battery to charge. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jeyandran

Jeyandran

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Hello

This should be able to help you =]

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...5/19532416.aspx

#3 jeffryhocker

jeffryhocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

I have read many things like that on-line and I am aware that I may just need to repair the physical connection on the motherboard. Seeing as how it is out of warranty I'm not looking forward to a bill or the stress of doing it myself. However my question was is there any way to override the incompatibility issue all together (IE remove Dell power meter and/or other programs, maybe BIOS settings).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users