Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INTERMITTENT TICKING FROM SPEAKERS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dkw1972

dkw1972

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hi all, I posted previously about booting up my inspiron 1545 well I managed to get it to take a copy of XP in the end! The only problem I could find was that I had no sound, but after installing SP3 it found the device and installed the codecs and I had sound!

I dropped an audio CD in to test it and no problems, the laptop then sat for a while switched on and when i went to use it I noticed and intermittent ticking (almost static sounding) coming from the speakers while I was using it, the laptop still seemed to work fine until it slowed and locked up and I got a "Kernel Data Image Error".

I've not touched it since but have just taken the heatsink off and put new thermal compound on and booted it up and the intermittent ticking is still there!

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dkw1972

dkw1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

While i'm sitting using my desktop pc the laptop is running windows updates and the inntermittent tick is there!

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Please go to this link and expand the audio tab and download your audio driver from here. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...anConsent=False

Please un-install any audio drivers you currently have installed, then install the one you downloaded from the Dell web site.

Please let me know if this driver fixed your audio issue, if not, then we may be looking at a failing hard drive.

In laptops, it is sometimes hard to tell where the noise is coming from.

This site might be helpful in diagnosing hard drive noises. http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 02:19 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 dkw1972

dkw1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hi Bruce, thanks for your reply, I actually downloaded the driver from Dell initially but it wouldn't install it as it said it was the wrong driver for my computer, I checked and it's the only driver they list!

I'll take a look at the second link you posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users