Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer beeps at startup

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ilikesoldat

ilikesoldat

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

Before I ask the question..... I have a few things to say

First of all, I appreciate all sincere answers (I'm new here by the way so I don't know what the members are like), the only reason I'm saying this is because the people on yahoo answers are really bad at reading the entirety of the text and then replying, instead they just reply as quick as they can and move on to the next question...

So, anyway what I have to say is that this is for sure not a case of ram being improperly seated or damaged.. because nothing was wrong until I added the graphics card, the motherboard wasn't beeping and nothing besides the graphics card being put in was touched. By the way, the frequency, length, pitch, and sound volume of these beeps are nothing like when RAM is missing.

Next thing, I can't believe I'm saying this but I've gotten some really unthoughtful replies so..... no it is not the case of any of the fans in the computer, and yes my power supply does have enough wattage to support the graphics card.

Sorry about all that, on to the question :

My computer has an integrated graphics card, which worked fine before any of this happened.
The model of the computer : gateway 504gr with windows xp home edition here's a link to its website http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/3724/4365nv.shtml just click on any of the links and you can find out more...

When I added my new gt 220 the computer beeps endlessly unless f8 is pressed at startup (WHY f8? I have absolutely no clue, it just happens to work, f2 is the button to go into bios) at which point it beeps for only another 5 seconds, then it takes me to a never before seen screen asking about which windows I want to pick (although there is not enough time to actually pick it and the computer moves on on its own), by the way it involves which windows I want to pick, whether I want to pick windows recovery console or microsoft windows xp home edition (my windows) and then the computer proceeds to starting up normally. (Everything works)

The card is working fine, and also now even when I take out the graphics card the computer still beeps until f8 is pressed at which point it continues after 5 seconds of beeping on the integrated card....

Basically, there is no way that I know of getting rid of this beeping noise at the startup... I altered some things in bios (but then reversed them all to check if this was actually the cause of the beeping and it wasn't)

Nothing that should cause a problem... does anyone have a clue on what I can do?

I have tried numerous possibly unrelated things like reseating everything, unplugging the cd dvd rom drives and even the hard drive and ram, altering everything I could think of in bios, and I just don't know what's left to try...

The computer would work fine if i just pressed f8 every time... but it makes me uncomfortable knowing that something is wrong

Edited by ilikesoldat, 19 August 2010 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Well...these beeps have to be either BIOS beeps (something detected as wrong with hardware), an overheating warning...or, possibly, evidence of a failing CMOS battery (wild, wild guess). Well...I suppose that they could also be an effect of malware...I can't say.

System configuration problems can be triggered by a weak, failing CMOS battery...but I've never known one to trigger beeps (I don't claim to be the resident expert on CMOS beeps).

What does your F8 key do? F2 takes you into the BIOS, I think, while F8 should put you in safe mode. I don't see why that would stop any beeps.

Louis

#3 ilikesoldat

ilikesoldat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for answering to my question, and you know like I said I have no clue why it is f8, and no my computer doesn't run in safe mode it runs normally after pressing f8, i tried some others and f3 f5 f10 and f9 even work.. i don't know which others work.. some like f.. i think 9 bring me to a thing where I can pick what I want like safe mode or last known config that worked or start windows normally etc etc etc

The computer works fine, just don't know why it beeps at the beginning endlessly until i press some f key

Edited by ilikesoldat, 19 August 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

I believe you may have a BIOS firmware problem.

There may be a bug in your version, that is causing this.

I do not always like recommending a BIOS flash to members, because if it is done incorrectly, it can render the motherboard to become permanantly non-bootable. (another name for it is called a bricked motherboard)

If you are willing to take the risks involved with flashing your BIOS EEPROM with an updated BIOS firmware version, let us know.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 06:10 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Stab in the dark:

Is it a rapid beeping like the one heard here:

G-lZ6qkVfWg

That's generally caused by a key being stuck in the pressed position. Check all the keys to make sure that they're not stuck in a partially pressed position.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

If this link below works and it links you directly to the BIOS downloads for your 504GR computer, you be able to see the list and the changes they are supposed to make.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...bios=&ext=1

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 ilikesoldat

ilikesoldat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

No, it is definitely not a pushed in key, I just bought a brand new keyboard and I even unplugged it to make sure no keys were held in, and I looked over the keyboard, besides its more of a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*beep* eeeeeeeeeeee *beep* eeeeeeeeeee *beep* eeeeeep pattern, with one long beep and three masked shorter beeps and it never ever ends instead of rebooting to the bios page like the video

About the BIOS damage, how would it be possible to damage by BIOS if everything was fine until I put in the new graphics card? I guess its worth a shot, but the computer is fine besides the beeping and if the BIOS were damaged it wouldn't be able to boot up at all

From that webpage, which download do I choose, and what do I do just download install it and reboot? Sounds easy, where can that go wrong and make my motherboard unusable?

By the way, I've NEVER had a problem with any virus whatsoever

Edited by ilikesoldat, 19 August 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Well I have to be completely honest about the flash procedure done to the motherboards EEPROM chip, if the flash fails for any reason and the BIOS EEPROM becomes corrupted as the result, a computer that suffers this failure can no longer boot, the system will start, but there won't be a BIOS boot ROM to boot from, thus a bricked motherboard.

I seen on the web site for your computer it mentions one corrupted BIOS firmware release, it mentioned a specific type of motherboard, I'll link you to the notice, as soon as I get back to the link for it.

Let me review all the files before I have you do any flashing, because I want to make absolutely sure, that there is not another work around for this issue.

I will treat this issues as if your computer was one of my own, I do not want to ask you to do something I would regret afterward.

So hang tight till I reply with the best advice I, myself would want to receive. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

I do not know what is meant by an El Paso motherboard, perhaps its some hidden label somewhere.

All I want you to do is read this and check to see if this in any way applies to your motherboard.

Mind you through out the whole Gateway support web site the F8 key is supposed to give you boot options to boot to safe mode or command prompt etc.

check this link carefully, if it does NOT apply to your board please ignore this notice.

http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/117427410.shtml

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

Gateway El Paso Motherboard.

Louis

#11 ilikesoldat

ilikesoldat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Alright guys, sorry for the late reply but I'm even having problems with my laptop.

Anyway, it is definitely not a Gateway El Paso motherboard, if you go on the web site I gave you guys about my computer you can see that on the components list of the computer the motherboard is a 102175 - Intel (Augsburg) No CPU Motherboard OR 102007 - Intel (Augsburg) No CPU Motherboard R0

I do not know how to tell which one is mine because apparently there are 2 models of my gateway computer that are near exactly alike, I'm sure there is no greater difference though? However I am not sure on how to verify this

EDIT: I just looked at the picture of the Gateway El Paso motherboard and it looks different than mine

Edited by ilikesoldat, 19 August 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

Good and thanks hamluis for that link, just wanted to make sure your board is not that board, because that one must have had a bug in the BIOS firmware.

I still want you to hold off on flashing that BIOS chip, it will be a last resort, if anything, because risks sometimes out-weigh the gains.

Please allow me time to offer a suitable solution, that works out for the best.

Bruce.

#13 ilikesoldat

ilikesoldat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Hey thanks a lot for all your time and sincere replies, it really means a lot to me that you are taking my computer problem so seriously, it means so so much, it really does, more than I can acknowledge through a short post, so once again thanks a lot.

By the way, the f8 key isn't the actual problem, that problem the website mentioned that f8 takes you to the wrong screen, that's not important, what is important is that f8 and a whole bunch of other f keys bypass the actual beeping

or maybe I understood you wrong

Please keep this in mind, although I agree it may be a problem with the actual bios firmware and you are indeed the expert not me, think about this : would it actually be possible that inserting a graphics card would mess up the BIOS firmware?

Just keep that in mind, I know I have no position to suggest something else considering all the experience you have on this matter, but maybe it could be another problem? Just read over all my posts again (I'm thinking perhaps you missed a bit of information) and just reconsider for a second.. unless of course you are sure its the BIOS misfunctioning

Edited by ilikesoldat, 20 August 2010 - 12:40 AM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

First of all I want to say you're most welcomed and I do appreciate your show of appreciation.

As to my being than expert...I am always learning new things each day from the people I help, so it works both ways, thus we both end up being the experts here.

I am going to post some links that are related to how a computer boots up, these links will describe to you how the BIOS chip on the motherboard has the first available boot sequence and how it eventually passes it on to your hard drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4566142_a-computer-boot.html

http://www.mossywell.com/boot-sequence/

http://www.pccomputernotes.com/newsletter/113000b.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post/how-computers-boot-up

Each one of the links above describes the boot process of a computer and how the BIOS plays a major part of this happening.
As we understand that in a sense, that the BIOS chip is like a miniature hard drive, that stores a bit of read only memory, this memory is burned into the chip electronically. Part of it non erasable, part of it is erasable and part of it is programmable, but must be kept alive through the use of a battery called a CMOS battery, this keeps this memory alive, even if the power is turned off.

If there is a possible bug in the firmware code burned into the CMOS chip, this can cause the computer system to have problems dealing with a number of issues, depending on what part of the BIOS string is corrupt. This can include detection of hardware or how this hardware functions or interacts with the motherboard's other components, such as RAM, the processor chip or video graphics accelerator.

So to answer your question, the BIOS has to interact with your keyboard as soon as it boots, other-wise you would not be able to enter your BIOS set up utility, the keyboard key sequence to enter the BIOS would not work. So the BIOS can play a major roll in how the keys on the keyboard react when they are pressed during boot up.

Pretty much, the links above explain that quite clearly.

Happy reading! :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#15 ilikesoldat

ilikesoldat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

Alright man, I'll get to it. What exactly do you want me to do after I read all this, like what is the next step?

By the way, I was experimenting and I noticed something...

Virtually ANY key pressed on the keyboard (besides the bios button) will get me past the beeping, I haven't tried them all because I find it rather pointless

EDIT: OK guys, I solved the problem..... It was weird I unplugged the keyboard and mouse because I was moving the whole PC closer to my internet and it started up with no beeping... Then what I did was I actually plugged the mouse and keyboard back in to the computer after it started up...... so I wondered... how could it possibly be a pressed in key on the keyboard, if it is working fine? its weird because I reckon unplugging the keyboard earlier and noticed the beeping was still there..... but once i switched out the keyboard and mouse.... there was absolutely no beeping...

then I went on experimenting and guess what, I figured out it was actually the mouse that was causing me soooooooooo much trouble.... very weird since I am absolutely positive I started up the computer with this new gaming mouse earlier and had absolutely no trouble.. until I inserted the video card.. and I still have NO CLUE why pressing a key on the actual keyboard would bypass the endless beeping if it was the MOUSE that was malfunctioning

Big THANKS for all the help... I have still no clue what it is? And how can I fix this mouse? I spent a lot of money on it...
If anyone knows if you care to explain I would be glad to hear why this was happening.. But the big problem is aside.... :thumbsup:

My theory is.. when I was assembling the computer I had everything in one spot kind of in the middle of the hallway.. and perhaps my mom or one of her guests actually stepped on the mouse? I have no clue, the mouse is working fine by the way (besides the beeping computer)

OK new new edit..... I installed all the drivers for the mouse and everything is fine..... the computer stops beeping when I unplug the mouse or press any key on my keyboard.. so the computer is definitely beeping because of the mouse... now my question is why it would do this? And what can I do to solve the problem

Edited by ilikesoldat, 20 August 2010 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users