Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection issues whilst playing random games

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zaracake

zaracake

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hello all,

I have an issue that's seemingly impossible to fix, i literally have asked the entire internet about this to try and find out if there's stuff i can do but so far there has been no one with a solution. The problem is that when i'm playing games, not just one, these games are (quakelive, World of Warcraft & StarCraft 2) - I will lose connection for a few seconds, usually 10, and then it will afterwards come back and the game would warp 10 seconds forward. In WoW everyone just runs on the spot and most of the time i DC after 10 seconds then can instantly log back in. In quakelive i get "Connection Interuppted" in bold white letters, for 10 seconds, and then it goes away and everythings back to normal, same thing happens in StarCraft 2 as quake, "waiting for server" then back to normal. This happens what seems like random, it's like it has "phases" where it happens, every few hours or so it will start, and then every 5-10 mins after the first time it will do it again, etc

Does anyone have ANY idea how to fix it? I've tried updating my network card drivers, running hijack this to look for dodgy stuff, multiple anti virus scans with spybot & adaware, is there any other reason why i would be getting this? it only seems to be games, as it doesn't happen when i watch a stream or so for a few hours.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

Check your Firewall settings, they might be blocking the games in some cases if you are running at increased security.
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#3 Kyle Richards

Kyle Richards

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Lets see if there is a an interrupt in your network connection when this happens or if it is specific to your computer.

Open a command prompt (Start > Run > type CMD > OK)

Type:

Ping www.google.com -t >> c:/ping.txt

I'll just assume your unfamiliar with what i am talking about so i don't miss any info. If you are familiar, sorry mate, don't mean to insult your intelligence.

The Ping command is essentially sending a signal to Google and waiting for a response. If you don't get a response for a period of time, or see a large round trip time, its a good indication that your network is the problem. Let this command run while your playing a game. If/When the game crashes, note the time so its easier to dig through this log and see if it crashed. After the game crashes, let the command continue to run for a minute or so.

Close the command prompt when your done using it, else this command will just continue to run. Your log file will get pretty big if you for get to shut it off for a week or two. Open up my computer, go to C: and find the file called ping.txt. Your log file should have a bunch of lines that look like this:

Pinging www.l.google.com [72.14.204.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 72.14.204.99: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=53
Reply from 72.14.204.99: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=53
Reply from 72.14.204.99: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=53
Reply from 72.14.204.99: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=53

If you see a response in there that says Google.com could not be contacted, or something to that nature, its important to note. Also, if the numbers in time start to skyrocket, thats another good indication of a network problem. If it takes data 250ms or more to make a round trip, your times are pretty high.

If you can get your game to crash while running this command, please upload that ping.txt file and we'll take a look together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users