Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The First Thing You Should Do With Facebook Places: Don't Let Other People Tag You

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

So, everyone's excited about the new Facebook Places, right? The Facebook service that lets you check-in, Foursquare style, at whatever hip Sushi bar/bicycle repair shop you happen to be in. Oh, and also other people can check you in, too.

Gawker.com

Good read for protecting yourself while using Facebook! Enjoy
Karsten

Edited by KarstenHansen, 19 August 2010 - 07:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

A friend of mine was robbed while she was out at the gym. WHY? Because FB Places tagged her and the burglars knew she was gone for quite awhile. FB Places not a good thing IMHO.

#3 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

No, I would agree that this is a service that we need to watch over extra carefully.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

Yup I agree. This service is a little useful but not in an everyday sense. It is just another thing that is bad for people and their security. I have actually managed to take it off of my iPod touch as it is jailbroken and make it so the facebook app no longer shows it. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 zamzia

zamzia

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

I'm not sure I want people knowing where I am most of the time, let alone all of the time. I've only got a very basic phone anyway. These smart phones are too much of a distraction. I'm almost pleased of the break from being at my computer when I finish work on a Friday.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

computerxpds

how did you do that, i have 3GS jailbroke with spiritjb. i want to remove the places icon from my FB app.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

I dont remember :thumbsup: But I will have to see if i can find out later, I think it was somewhere in the files of facebooks app. But I will look into it. :flowers:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#8 DreadedLaser

DreadedLaser

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

Facebook is already using profile information for the sidebar ads, Places is just another way to gather information and advertise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users