Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS XP ON HP PAVILLION

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marbellaman1

marbellaman1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:35 AM

DEAR HP FORUM

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME.

I OWN A M7480 MEDIA CENTRE UK SPEC. IT WAS PURCHASED IN 2006 BUT HAS BEEN KEPT IN STORAGE FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS IN ITS ORIGINAL BOX.

I UNPACKED IT AND SET IT UP 2 WEEKS AGO SO IT IS LIKE NEW I AM ON WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3

MY C DRIVE HAS 160GB FREE AND MY D DRIVE HAS 148 GB FREE. MY DISK DRIVE IS FACTORY INSTALLED IT IS A LITE ON DVDRW SHW 160H6S

MY PROBLEM IS THIS I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO WATCH DVDS ON MY PC. SOME DVD'S WILL NOT BOOT (I HAVE TRIED THESE ON MY WIFES LAPTOP AND THEY BOOT FINE) WHEN DVDS DO BOOT UP THE FRAMES AND SOUND STAMMER THE WORDS SPOKEN SOUND DISTORTED ALMOST ROBOTIC AND JUST UNWATCHABLE.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON A PC BUT WITH HP TROUBLE SHOOTER I HAVE TRIED THE FOLLOWING THINGS.

I REINSTALLED THE AUDIO DRIVER (THIS DID NOT WORK)

I REINSTALLED DVD PLAY (THIS DID WORK IF I WANT TO WATCH DVD'S THROUGH THIS PROGRAM. IF I GO TO WATCH THE SAME DVD THROUGH MEDIA PLAYER OR MEDIA CENTRE OR VLC MEDIA PLAYER I STILL GET THE SAME PROBLEMS.)

I HAVE ALSO RAN CHKDSK AND DONE A DEFRAG.

SO I CAN WATCH DVDS THROUGH DVD PLAYER AND I ALSO DOWNLOADED WINDVD AND DVDS PLAY PERFECT THROUGH THIS (HOWEVER THIS IS ONLY FOR A 30 DAY FREE TRIAL)

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE ADVISE ME ON WHY

1. THE DRIVE WONT BOOT SOME DVD'S

2. WHY IS THE STUTTERING HAPPENING WITH MY PICTURE AND AUDIO THROUGH MEDIA PLAYER MEDIA CENTRE VLC MEDIA BUT NOT THROUGH DVD PLAY AND WINDVD?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2010 - 09:38 AM.
Removed excess lines spacing ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

My initial impression...since they play in one program, it's probably a codecs issue. This may be complicated by the fact that this system has been insert/unused for 4 years and may be lacking various updates for the O/S which have been issued since then.

Since you have SP3 installed...I have to ask what version of WMP is installed...and have you installed any of the other noncritical updates pertaining to XP that might impact DVD play/WMP?

Louis

#3 marbellaman1

marbellaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

hi louis

i have checked my update history and cannot see anything that would clash or impact dvd playing

i have just updated to windows media 11 but had the same problem with the original windows media that was installed.

if you think this is going to get too complicated maybe i will purchase windvd?
what are your thoughts?

cheers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Don't purchase anything :thumbsup:.

Try this...scroll down to Mega, click Download Mega button. You may get prompted to run Adobe Flash, if so...run it. Scroll about midway down, select a download location and push button. Save to desktop, run from desktop just like ordinary program.

Louis

Ooops...forgot link, http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm. My apologies.

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2010 - 01:50 PM.

#5 marbellaman1

marbellaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

thanks for the help hamluis :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users