Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely lost looking for a video card upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sirius57

sirius57

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Hi guys. I'm 17 years old and I recently got a new job, so I've got some money to spend, and one of the things I want to do is upgrade my computer. My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700. My family bought it back in 2005 (or some time around then) and it's become my personal computer since then. However, it's getting to the point where it's so old that newer games and programs won't run on it. As I said, since I've got some money, I want to upgrade it. For example, my video card is starting to get up there in age. It's an ATI Radeon X300, and while it's served me well in the past, a lot of newer games require things such as a minimum of 256mb of video memory and Shader Model 3.0, which my card doesn't have. I'd like to buy a new video card, but not a brand new one - just one that covers more than my current one.

In a nutshell, I want a card that I can plug into the same slot (as in take out the old card in plug in the new one) as an ATI Radeon X300 - ergo, one that doesn't require a PCI Express. It should also have 256mb of video memory and support for Shader Model 3.0. Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2010 - 10:56 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Upgrade forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

How do you feel towards Nvidia AGP video cards? Or are you interested in ATI/AMD video cards?

It helps to know if you have a preference one or the other.

But basically those are the leaders in video cards these days.

Your topic should probably have been posted in the system building and upgrading section of the forums.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:12 AM

I am looking at a Dell PDF and it shows the board to have a PCI-E slot. Looking at ATI X300s, they show to be a PCI-E card as well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 sirius57

sirius57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

How do you feel towards Nvidia AGP video cards? Or are you interested in ATI/AMD video cards?

It helps to know if you have a preference one or the other.

But basically those are the leaders in video cards these days.

Your topic should probably have been posted in the system building and upgrading section of the forums.

Bruce.

I'll probably post over there if I don't get an adequate answer here. Anyway, I have no real preference in cards at this moment - I just want something that's better than my current card, but will still fit into the same slot as my current card (I'm not looking to upgrade my entire motherboard).

I am looking at a Dell PDF and it shows the board to have a PCI-E slot. Looking at ATI X300s, they show to be a PCI-E card as well.

That's interesting, because I read that the ATI X300 uses a PCI bus. I guess I'll have to look into that.

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

The Dimension 4700 has a 305W PSU, from what I can find. The best video card I've found which can run on such power is the Geforce GT 240.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 sirius57

sirius57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

The Dimension 4700 has a 305W PSU, from what I can find. The best video card I've found which can run on such power is the Geforce GT 240.

I'm looking up the GT 240, and I'm really impressed with it. I might buy it, but my only question is will I be able to fit it into my computer (Dimension 4700) without having to upgrade the motherboard or something like that? My computer is basically at factory settings - I've never upgraded the hardware before.

#7 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

The only question I would have is whether it will physically fit. The Geforce GT 240 is somewhere between 6.6" and 7.5", depending on the brand name. Otherwise, it should be fine.
Make sure you remove the ATI drivers before removing the old card.

You should also take a look at the power supply itself. Make sure it actually is 305W.

Edited by RainbowSix, 19 August 2010 - 05:16 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#8 sirius57

sirius57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

The only question I would have is whether it will physically fit. The Geforce GT 240 is somewhere between 6.6" and 7.5", depending on the brand name. Otherwise, it should be fine.
Make sure you remove the ATI drivers before removing the old card.

You should also take a look at the power supply itself. Make sure it actually is 305W.

How would I go about checking the power supply? Is there some systems information thing I can check on the computer, or do I have to go digging around in the CPU itself?

#9 sirius57

sirius57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Nevermind, scratch that last message. I looked in my CPU and the power supply is indeed a 305W. I've gone ahead and ordered the GT 240, and hopefully everything will work well. Thanks for the help, guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users