Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use my Windows XP disc to repair another computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Computerdude01

Computerdude01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

The other computer has the same OS (XP Home 32bit), but I don't have the Windows disc for it anymore. Can I use a disk from another computer/install?

Edited by Computerdude01, 19 August 2010 - 12:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

Yes it should work but you have to use the same edition (Home or Pro).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Computerdude01

Computerdude01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:49 AM

I think they're both Home. Hopefully it works!

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:03 AM

Just as long as you do not try to install the operating system on your computer you should be fine.

The problem with installing off another persons disk is windows activation, the product key of the installation disk has to be sent to Microsoft through the windows activation, for the install to continue running with full support features such as windows updates.

If you attempt to activate this copy, it will be flagged as a pirate copy and the desk top will no longer load, you'll be stuck at the Windows log in screen, with the only option of purchasing a new key.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:00 AM

The 25 letter/number product key should most likely be on a sticker attached to the tower. You can use any XP Home Edition disc for installation, re-installation or repair just as long as you have a valid product key to enter at the appropriate prompt.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

If the pc has an OEM version of XP then you will need an OEM disk to avoid any issues with activation. The same is true with a retail version, which means that your OEM install disk will not work to activate your repair install if the pc has a retail key, or visa-versa.
There is a way around this dilemma, and that is to make your disk either OEM or retail by changing the PID on the disk. This is not illegal because you still need a legal XP key no matter what you do, but it will make your life easier
http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Edited by Joe C, 19 August 2010 - 07:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users