Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add/remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:38 AM

Is there a list anywhere of safe-to-delete programs from the add/remove panel?

If not, Let's start one. I'm going to start researching various junk that I find in the add/remove programs panel, and responding to this post as I have time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

Spinner - not spyware but hogs memory and is unnecessary

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:01 PM

Anything that is not part of your operating system is safe to delete if you do it properly.

(Internet Explorer is part of all Windows op systems and cannot be removed)

If it's resources that you want to preserve, disable programs you don't need on the startup menu instead of uninstalling them unless you are sure you will not need the program again.

After you get through uninstalling programs and you are sure after rebooting that your computer is operating properly, use CCleaner to clean your registry.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 November 2005 - 11:04 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:32 PM

BC's Startup Database contains many, many applications and programs, all by category (necessary, optional, unneeded, malare).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 crazeebob2000

crazeebob2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:03 AM

BC's Startup Database contains many, many applications and programs, all by category (necessary, optional, unneeded, malare).
Regards,
John

I use a program called "Starter" by Code Stuff. It shows the startup programs and also the processes. You can right click on one of them and google it for info. I've found it to be quick and easy way to control my machine. Cheers.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:10 AM

For everyone's convience here is the link to Bleeping Computer's Startup Database. :thumbsup:

Startup Programs Database

Edited by Scarlett, 02 November 2005 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users