Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp wont install on functional netbook

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:21 AM

I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook that comes with a solid state drive and a 8 gb sd card expansion memory. I tried to do a fresh install of XP (I had gotten it from a friend and wanted to wipe his stuff) from a flash drive however after the first round of the installation (format, creation of partition, and copying of files) the netbook would no longer boot off of the flash drive so what I was left with was a formatted netbook. I then bought a external I/O Magic DVD/RW USB drive and tried to use this to install windows xp using the restore disk that came with the netbook, however when it boots all I get is the post screen and if I try to go to boot options it just freezes on entering boot device selection menu...however if the drive is popped open or removed the menu unfreezes and proceeds. What is going on?
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Here is a line from your post above. " after the first round of the installation (format, creation of partition, and copying of files) the netbook would no longer boot off of the flash drive "

Usually when Windows is installed on a computer, it gets to a point where it starts copying files to a disk drive, once this procedure has been completed, the installation disk is no longer needed, the files required to continue the installation have already been copied to the chosen hard drive, usually this takes place during the first boot that takes place during the install process.

It sounded to me like you got the install to get to that point, but was trying to boot back to the installation media again, which as you posted above is a flash drive.

The same is true if you have the CD or DVD disk in an optical drive and during the re-boot hit any key to boot from CD or DVD, some times people hit the key, or the disk loads again, the object is to boot to the hard drive because the necessary files for installation are already on the hard drive, so thats the path you want the computer to go in, to boot from drive C:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users