Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system32\winlogon.exe virus & c000021a {Fatal System Error}

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 gsere875

gsere875

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

Hello,

For the past few days, my AVG resident shield has been picking up many infected files on my computer. the files that were shown as infected were WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe . I tried to google this problem and saw many warnings to not delete this file as it is important. After running an AVG scan, 16 infected files were found and 14 were healed or removed and a computer restart was prompted. Before restarting, i clicked the "remove unhealed infections" button and then restarted. My computer Dell Desktop running Windows XP will now show the windows xp loading screen and then switch to a blue screen that displays:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

now i cannot even load my windows....I am not sure where my startup disk is but i am looking for it....

Can someone please help?
Thank you,
Gsere875

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hello, with a bit of luck we should be able to fix this.

Please let me know if you have your XP disk.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:16 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic will now be closed.

If you are the original topic starter and you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.

Everyone else, please start a new topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users