Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drm Gone Bad

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:36 AM

I just stumbled upon this: Mark's sysinternals blog

I don't know if I should be frightened or angry, but I'm definitely disturbed.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:44 AM

That IS disturbing! I have one copy-protected CD, but I did a complete system restore recently (set the computer back to factory settings), so the registry files should be gone. I'm disabling autorun before I play that CD again! This whole thing really stinks! I can't believe someone would do something like that! :thumbsup:

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:20 PM

Good read, Mr Alpha.
Just goes to show you how the DRM is getting out of hand.
Now Sony is engaging in illegal activities, to prevent illegal activities.
What a joke.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:48 PM

That's quite the article. Way out of hand. Bad enugh got spend alot of time just to get a 100 AOL thingys off PC every time my kid installs something. But hidden,possibly damaging and you need to be quite an expert to rid yourself of stuff. Some body needs a can of whoopa** opened on them.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

Some updates:

Firstly I found this: F-Secure Virus Descriptions : XCP DRM Software

Secondly: If you want to get rid of it Sony will provide instructions for removing it, if you use this form. According to F-Secure they will install a bunch of ActiveX components, though.

Thirdly: Sony to patch copy protected CD

Edited by Mr Alpha, 02 November 2005 - 05:28 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:13 PM

Good read, Mr Alpha.
Just goes to show you how the DRM is getting out of hand.
Now Sony is engaging in illegal activities, to prevent illegal activities.
What a joke.

Its kind of sad when corporated greed gets involved

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:13 AM

Sony Responds with option to remove

Looks like SONY only offers to remove the cloaking driver. There's still no uninstall for the DRMs :thumbsup:

It appears this topic is being discussed in 2 forums
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:37 AM

Sony Responds with option to remove

Looks like SONY only offers to remove the cloaking driver. There's still no uninstall for the DRMs :thumbsup:

It appears this topic is being discussed in 2 forums

Maybe I should have posted it in that forum, but I wasn't really thinking about it as a news-piece, more like sharing a warning and information. (Besides I was first. :flowers: )

Anyhow, this is quickly becoming unreal.
WoW-hackers have been talking about using DRM-rootkit to hide cheating-programs from Blizzards sniffer.

Hey anyone burn an ISO of the disk so we can reduce the cost to zipola?

Now it seem they are going to pirate the DRM software. :trumpet:

Also, the lates from F-Secure's weblog:

A member of our IT security team pointed out quite chilling thought about what might happen if record companies continue adding rootkit based copy protection into their CDs.

In order to hide from the system a rootkit must interface with the OS on very low level and in those areas theres no room for error.

It is hard enough to program something on that level, without having to worry about any other programs trying to do something with same parts of the OS.

Thus if there would be two DRM rootkits on the same system trying to hook same APIs, the results would be highly unpredictable. Or actually, a system crash is quite predictable result in such situation.

A chilling though about CDs that have rootkit DRM

This could still go far, there are talks about lawsuits. If we're really lucky this could become a turning-point for DRM.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

Head over to Mark's Sysinternals Blog, where Mark has dug a bit deeper, and tries to get an uninstaller. Plus, First4Internet responds, to which Mark responds. Have a read.

It seem nobody at Sony nor F4I has any idea what they really are doing. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Talk about not knowing what your doing. Have a look here.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 07 November 2005 - 05:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users