Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrypting Individual Files on USB?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trippster3

Trippster3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hi guys! I was wondering if there was a way to encrypt individual files or folders on a USB stick. You know, without having to move them in to an encrypted container on the USB stick. I need certain files to stay exactly where they are but be inaccessible until I enter a password. The only way I know to do this is by creating an encrypted container with Truecrypt and then move those files into the container. But I don't want to move the files and I also don't want to convert the USB stick into NTFS. Any way to do this? Thanks to those who help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

That's only for internal drives and not USB flash drives. Also, one of his requirements was not using NTFS.

On another note, why not NTFS? Unless you are using Linux, NTFS is the way to go.

#4 Trippster3

Trippster3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

That's only for internal drives and not USB flash drives.

You mean TrueCrypt? There's this software called USB Safeguard that allows me to encrypt individual files on a USB but I've been having a bit of problem with that: topic 341039

On another note, why not NTFS? Unless you are using Linux, NTFS is the way to go.

So you're using it? And you haven't found a problem with it? If not then I guess I'll do it. Thanks for your help

Edited by Andrew, 19 August 2010 - 06:22 PM.
Mod Edit: De-shortened URL - AA

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

No, I was talking about what ReviverSoft recommended. That is only for internal drives and not USB flash drives.

No, I haven't ever had a problem with the NTFS file system.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

That's only for internal drives and not USB flash drives.
Ah ok, thanks for pointing it out.

So you're using it? And you haven't found a problem with it? If not then I guess I'll do it. Thanks for your help
Nope, it's your best bet!
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 Trippster3

Trippster3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

Thanks guys. I'm forced to use Truecrypt, which is very cumbersome. USB Safeguard will work for most, and apparently for everyone but me, which does exactly what I need it to: encrypt individual files without doing the container thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users