Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recomendation for a Registry Cleaner for Vista x64

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Conorkc

Conorkc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hi Forum can anyone on here point me in the direction of a good (free) registry cleaner for vista x64.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/reg...weaking_13.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

I agree with Broni. I don't use them anymore, but if you really want one, ccleaner always did a good job for me.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Conorkc

Conorkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the fast replys, Ok I understand what ye are saying. The problem that caused me to think that I needed to run a regiestry cleaner was that, at ramdom times while I would be gaming on my PC the system would lock up. At first the sound would start jittering, then a second later the screen would freeze up. I thought it was a heating issue but I'm begining to think it is something else.

Is there anything that anyone could advise to help me pinpoint the cause of these freezes?

Thanks again.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

================================================================

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide two sets of results, one when computer idle and 2nd one while gaming.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 Conorkc

Conorkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:44 AM

Ok My computer is running Vista x64 Operating system,

CPU: AMD Athalon X2 6000+

Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

HDD: (C:) 149 GB with 28.84GB free
(D:) 931.51 GB with 798.23 free

Computer Temps

GPU: Idle (42/44 'C) / Load (66/68 'C)

CPU: Idle (40/42 'C) / Load (46/48 'C)

Mobo: Idle (32/34) / Load (34/36 'C)

Another Piece of info you might find useful is that when I ran PC Probe II on my computer 2 Warnings came up.
1/ DDR2 THERM Voltage (Which is reading 1.01V)
2/ DDR2 Voltage (Which is reading 2.06 V)

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm not really a hardware guy, so I'll ask my friend to take a look at those warnings....
Hold on there...

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hello I need to ask you to post your computers make and model number.

If this is a custom made model, please post the motherboard's make and model number.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Conorkc

Conorkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hey MrBruce,

I Built the computer myself, The Mobo is an ASUS Croshair. Manufacturer link here

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Bruce :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Okay got your link and will assist you shortly, I have an automobile (a 1997 Sebring) digital speedometer I have to do a circuit repair on at the immediate moment, I just wanted to reply back just to let you know I have your post in mind and will reply once I have time to do some research on your subject, hope you don't mind the delay, but in real life, electronics repair is one of my major fields.

Thanks for your understanding.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

I can not link you to the BIOS download page directly, but you may want to go to downloads and check BIOS #1207

I am curious what version your BIOS version is at the moment, sometimes those BIOS updates are created to fix known issues.

I have an Asus motherboard also, so I am familure with what PC PROBE II is, its the software that comes bundled with Asus motherboard system disks.

Below is the link to the site.

http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9s5xj9DAuUWX35gT

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 August 2010 - 12:18 PM.

#14 Conorkc

Conorkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

No Rush at all m8! I'm truly gratefull for any help you can provide. Of course I understand that Real life stuff takes priority. If you need any more information from me don't hesitate to ask, And thanks again.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

Okay, I'm back at the helm, repair with sebring Automobile went well.

I have a copy of your motherboard manual on my desk top, I want to ask you what BIOS version you have on your Asus motherboard, you can check this information, by typing system information at the search field of your start menu. Once it shows up in the list of options click it and it will open system information.

In that main field, you'll see BIOS version.

Let me know what BIOS version you have.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users