Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Windows Update Memory Leak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Condover

Condover

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

I have a clean XP pro pc that crawls after startup as it uses up to 300MB to run windows update. It is only obvious what is happening by displaying peak and Virtual memory usage in task manager. With 1gb of mem it is Ok but with 500mb it is unusable until WU has given up after about 20 minutes. I have tried Dial-a-fix to no avail and deleted the windows update executables to force a reinstall, which worked but has not fixed the problem. Is there some clever way to reinstall Windows Update?
According to Microsoft this memory leak was a problem with XP SP1 but I am using SP3 so the patches must already be installed!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

So you have 1 gig of RAM installed with XP SP3..... do you have your install disk(s) available and usable? I would recommend a repair install to see if that helps.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

You can go into the Control Panel under Automatic Updates and change it so that you can disable the automatic update and then manually install them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bobdavis321

bobdavis321

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

I have seen this problem with windows update taking 1/2 a gig of memory on several computers but only ones with SP3 and automatic updates. It may not look that bad unless you realize that there is also an associated svchost file that is also huge! The only solution is to have a minimum of 1 gig of memory to run Windows XP with SP3 and automatic updates turned on. I think this is the reason why a lot of people are going back to only installing SP2 with Windows XP. I am not sure if it is an undetected virus or intentional behavior to force people to upgrade to Windows7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users