Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer, not sure if I'm infected

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 -felix-

-felix-

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hello, for the past month, I've been thoroughly searching the web, looking for a solution to help fix my laptop, but I'm afraid I might ruin my laptop more if I make a change without any knowledgeable reason. My laptop, a couple years ago was infected and hacked, but sent it to my local tech shop to fix it, but I don't think they did a format, but instead just temporarily stopped it because after a week my computer was being all slow. So went ahead and did scans with malwarebytes, and AVG and got rid of the nasty junk(adware, trojans, rootkits, etc.)but specifically trojan,refpron files such as mabidwe, soxpeca, roytcm,etc. and then I left my laptop alone for a whole year. Recently I just decided to fix my laptop because I got a new wireless router. So as usual, I scanned my computer in safe mode with malwarebytes, and this time with avast, they found a couple things, but it was clean after that. After a couple months, my laptop had solewxte.exe in a hijackthis scan( someone from a different tech site recommended I do it), so I deleted it(was told to). Now the past month, I scanned my computer with avast, malwarebytes, search and destroy, and windows defender, and all I noticed that search and destroy picked an all to familiar name, trojan.refpron. I quickly removed it. However, my laptop is still very slow, I'm not sure if it's because of infections, but I want to narrow my options down until I find the problem.

So far,

Avast scan=clean
Malwarebytes=clean
Search and Destroy=clean
Windows Defender=clean

Please help

If I must post logs, please say so, I'd be more than happy to post them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

bump

#3 Clifford Tan

Clifford Tan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

This may sounds cheesy. With the amount of time you've spent trying to fix malware and virus issue, have you considered doing a complete backup of your system, then give a clean format of your hard drive? Unless your goal is to learn from the experience, I see that you could save more time doing a complete reformat, and giving you the boost in laptop performance that you are looking for.

Edited by Clifford Tan, 19 August 2010 - 11:04 PM.

~ Clifford The IT Guy ~
PC Optimization Secrets

#4 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

This may sounds cheesy. With the amount of time you've spent trying to fix malware and virus issue, have you considered doing a complete backup of your system, then give a clean format of your hard drive? Unless your goal is to learn from the experience, I see that you could save more time doing a complete reformat, and giving you the boost in laptop performance that you are looking for.

I know I'd be better off fomatting, but I'm not sure I have enough experience to actually try formatting for myself, is there a way to check whether the following software and drivers in the link X are the correct corresponding software and drivers for my laptop?

#5 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

bump

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

What operating system is this??

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech
Windows XP: Clean Install

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

==============================

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Since we don't know exactly which infections we're dealing with here, we should take some precautions before we attempt to move files from the infected machine. Run the following on your clean computer, and make sure you insert your flash drives at the prompt.
Download and Run FlashDisinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Reinstall Windows Vista

Note: Windows 7 Professional instructions recommend you DO NOT use a third-party software to format the drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

What operating system is this??

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech
Windows XP: Clean Install

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

==============================

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Since we don't know exactly which infections we're dealing with here, we should take some precautions before we attempt to move files from the infected machine. Run the following on your clean computer, and make sure you insert your flash drives at the prompt.
Download and Run FlashDisinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Reinstall Windows Vista

Note: Windows 7 Professional instructions recommend you DO NOT use a third-party software to format the drive.

I really don't have any files to backup here because nothing is of great importance, but I still unsure as to what I have to download. I read the walkthroughs you've listed and I have a couple questions.

1. Does windows install the majority of the vital drivers, software, etc.?
2. If my laptop is a compaq r4000, would I visit the compaq website and download some of the drivers, etc. there?
3. I've seen some people typing on the web saying something about installing the motherboard, what is this about?
Do I need to do it as well?
4. How do I know if the drivers, software, etc. are the right ones?

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by -felix-, 23 August 2010 - 02:40 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hello

see Preparation.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

2. If my laptop is a compaq r4000, would I visit the compaq website and download some of the drivers, etc. there?
That would be the best place

3. I've seen some people typing on the web saying something about installing the motherboard, what is this about?
That is a whole different story. They are changing a piece of Hardware . Motherboard You're not going there.

See #1 above.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hello

see Preparation.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

That would be the best place

That is a whole different story. They are changing a piece of Hardware . Motherboard You're not going there.

See #1 above.

so am I to run upgrade advisor?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

Yes

#11 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

Yes

I can't seem to find a place to download it, but it seems like upgrade adviser is for users who want to upgrade their PC to another version of windows. Can you explain what upgrade adviser does, and perhaps provide a link for downloading?

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

This is not mandatory but I feel it would tell you if something is out of date.
The Windows XP Upgrade Advisor provides information about potential problems your computer may experience if you upgrade to Windows XP. The Windows XP Upgrade Advisor checks the system peripherals and programs and generates a list of items that may not function correctly with Windows XP.

See this for more info and d'load links Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor

#13 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

This is not mandatory but I feel it would tell you if something is out of date.
The Windows XP Upgrade Advisor provides information about potential problems your computer may experience if you upgrade to Windows XP. The Windows XP Upgrade Advisor checks the system peripherals and programs and generates a list of items that may not function correctly with Windows XP.

See this for more info and d'load links Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor

It seems that the download link for windows xp home is retired. What should I do?
So far I've burned the drivers, software, etc. from the manufacturer's site on to a CD.

Edited by -felix-, 27 August 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

I think you should ask in the XP forum.. The staff there probably knows a workaround.

#15 -felix-

-felix-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

I think you should ask in the XP forum.. The staff there probably knows a workaround.

Ok, and thank you so very much for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users