Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uptime command and 2 users?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

I'm reading my mac for beginners and mac for ex-pc users books and I tried out the uptime command in terminal. I only have one account set up but uptime listed 2 users. Is one of the users system or the guest account for LAN sharing?

Is there a command that lists the current users?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:59 AM

Interesting. I got the same result. It looks like it is the system that is the second user. Type "who" without the quotes in Terminal will reveal the users according to the link below.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/message....sageID=11542942

For security reasons you really shouldn't use an admin account for everyday use.
http://www.macworld.com/article/60303/2007...kup_others.html

Edited by Buddyme2, 19 August 2010 - 02:59 AM.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Buddyme2

When I use who I get
username console
username ttys 000

When I use the ac -p command from the first link I get
username 35.04
system 0.34
Total 35.39

I don't know why system has such a short accumulated connect or logged in time - maybe "system" here means a part of the system. And either username console or username ttys 000 must stand for that part of the system.

Thanks for the article on security. I haven't actually set up my mac yet - haven't had my one to one set up appt. I'm still gathering info as to how I want to set it up - pretty sure I want to partition. I'm just using the mac to do the examples in the books and to try to figure out how to navigate thru the windows w/out my old pc alt-tab .
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 markophoto

markophoto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:23 AM

Hi MB82

You can navigate through windows in a similar fashion to windows Alt-Tab by using the Command button (Cmd) and Tab on a Mac.

Marko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users