Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarting loop, possibly hard drive fault

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeebus

Jeebus

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hello, I've got a PC here that's constantly restarting and I'm thinking the hard drive might be at fault but for the fact that diagnostics are saying it's fine.

SPECS:
Motherboard: MSI MS-7030
Memory: 2x PC3200 256MB modules, 3x available slots
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB, 160GB
Graphics: No on-board, 1x AGP (ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB)
Power Supply: FSP Group FSP300-60PN (300W)

INFO:
It starts up normally, and once it reaches the desktop it'll begin to show the Welcome screen, and then restarts itself. Disabling automatic restarts results in a BSOD with BAD_POOL_CALLER and the STOP codes of 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xC38CA000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). The same happens when I try to boot with Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode and VGA booting.

I tried booting the PC with all but the essentials powered up i.e. HDD, CPU fan and mobo with a single RAM module, none of which worked. I then tried the second RAM module swapped for the first, with the same results. To eliminate RAM as a possible fault I also tried another PC3200 module that I know is working fine, with the same results so I'm sure that the memory isn't at fault in this case.

I did some research on the BSOD and others suggested that it's related to either RAM or the HDD, and I was noticing a very loud click from the HDD every time it restarted, as if the drive head was skipping or something like that. This was followed by the sound of the drive powering down, and it promptly spins back up again once the POST begins. This supported the possiblity of an HDD fault so I unplugged the current HDD and plugged in an old 20GB one I had spare and installed Windows XP on it. Everything worked fine, tried several shut downs and restarts to be sure and it continued to boot fine, so I thought I had worked out what the problem was.

I downloaded Western Digital's HDD diagnostics boot CD and ran the full test from that with the original HDD plugged back in by itself, however it reported that the HDD has no errors. After restarting and trying to boot normally, the computer continued to restart. I used the Windows XP Recovery Console to run a full Checkdisk, which reportedly fixed unspecified errors however it continued to restart itself.

I also tried to run a repair install as another person had said their BAD_POOL_CALLER error was caused by a faulty XP SP3 upgrade, so I used an XP Home SP2 install CD to run a repair install, however halfway through the repair install the computer abruptly restarted.

So I'm back at square one with the added bonus of not being able to finish the repair install :-p any time I try to continue with it it just restarts halfway through. Has anyone had a problem like this before? I'm thinking of just slaving the drive, backing up the files and doing a full format and reinstall on it but I'd like some opinions before I go beyond the point of no return please.

Thanks for your time,
Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hello I read your description above and the tests you have performed already.

Have you inspected the processor or its heat sink, to make sure the heat sink is properly seated on the processor?

Have you recently inspected the processor heat sink for dust that is clogging the cooling fins?

Have you tried booting into your BIOS setup utility and tried loading fail-safe defaults, or load setup defaults?

I would say your problem is not driver or operating system related because the issues happened with two different OS install and two different hard drives.

So the problem would have to be related to one of the possibilities above.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Jeebus

Jeebus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

The heatsinks are a bit dusty, but nothing terrible. I'll give it a blow out with an air compressor to be sure though. The heatsink also looks like its properly seated. I tried using both the failsafe and optimised defaults, as well as clearing the CMOS by removing the battery, but none of them worked either.

The issue is only happening with the original hard drive, the other hard drive I tried and installed Windows XP on works fine, there's no issues with that one but it's only 20GB compared to the original's 160GB so it's not exactly a fitting replacement. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

-Gary

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

Okay, but being that you ran the disk diagnostic software and the tests did not find any disk errors, has me a bit puzzled.

But what does concern me is you're describing a click sound coming from with-in from the hard drive.

You might find this web site to be of some help to you in diagnosing hard drive sounds and what they might be a sign of.

Let me know what you think of this web site, I've found it to be pretty useful myself.

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Jeebus

Jeebus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Okay, but being that you ran the disk diagnostic software and the tests did not find any disk errors, has me a bit puzzled.

But what does concern me is you're describing a click sound coming from with-in from the hard drive.

You might find this web site to be of some help to you in diagnosing hard drive sounds and what they might be a sign of.

Let me know what you think of this web site, I've found it to be pretty useful myself.

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Bruce.

Hey that's a handy little site, got that bookmarked for future reference, thanks! :D

Well none of them match the sound I'm hearing, it's just a single very loud click, it's kind of hard to describe, it almost sounds like a switch clicking as well but it's definately coming from the hard drive itself.

I'm currently running a backup of what files I can find on the drive and I'll see if doing a full format and reinstall works instead, not really my preferred option and sort of grasping at straws but hey, it worked for the test hard drive I installed.

Thanks anyway! Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by Jeebus, 19 August 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

Now there ya go, you can't go wrong when you back up your files to another drive, I have Windows 7 do that automatically every Sunday, it backs up my hard drive to another seperate hard drive, believe me, it saved me once already, not more than 2 months ago, I was glad I had that option enabled.

Keep us posted though.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users