Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 5315 Install Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 blaqsense

blaqsense

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Dell Inspiron 5315
AMD 64 X2 athlon
2GB ram
150GB HD
USB ONLY
SATA HD = SEEN IN BIOS
SATA OPTICAL DRIVE = SEEN IN BIOS

SATA CONFIGS IN BIOS, EITHER DISABLED OR USE SATA II for the controllers, which this is an on board sata controllers

I have a friend computer that I was going to wipe clean since his system was freezing and could not boot into so he wanted to have it wiped, no problem right?? WRONG

I can boot with the XP (NO SP) Disk and format the drive and such, restart, no problem...
when I get to the GUI Setup.....at 39, 38, 37,36, 35 freezes, does nothing...no indication that there were any problems...
So I did that a few times and still nothing.... only thing that is connected is the mouse/keybd
So I tried the Windows 7 Ultimate, this time it will not even give me a "boot to cd press any key" nothing....
I'm stuck on this one....I'm currently have XP SP3 on disk so I'm going to try this one...
I googled this same issue and saw that of course XP (no sp) will not have drivers for the sata drive....and that it has an issue with the usbhub.sys i think file that freezes..so they said try sp2...well I'm just going to use the sp3 and see what happens but why I can't use the win 7 ultimate dvd? Whatever OS installs will be fine with me...

p.s. There is no option to change the SATA to say ide, or anything else, it's either enabled sata 1 = default or disabled only..
Thanks..

Edited by blaqsense, 18 August 2010 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Why can't I use the win 7 ultimate dvd?

Does this optical drive read DVD disks? Windows 7 Ultimate is as you quoted above a DVD disk.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 blaqsense

blaqsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Yes it does read dvd..... I have XP SP3 so I'm going to wipe it clean with Hirams boot cd...since it continues to restart the setup.... I'll post something in a bit.....
I've seen this issue before but I was able to bypass sata with either other options but this one there is no option..for it..... so let me wipe it clean again and then try to install XP SP3.... it only hangs on xp when it's installing devices...apparently the disk i used did not have the sata drives on it....and I don't have a floppy drive.. before I say that let me check to ensure that I don't have an external drive and then maybe I can install the intel storage manager...

#4 blaqsense

blaqsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

Okay now I do have an external floppy drive....and will download the intel storage matrix/manager...still wiping my drive clean with Hiram's boot cd...

Okay wait, I take that back....I'm not using any raid so I don't need the intel storage matrix manager.... I think I just need the drivers for this sata drive controller..umm

Edited by blaqsense, 18 August 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Usually during the install process, Windows XP looks for updated drivers on line, that is if you have an active Internet connection during the install procedure.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 blaqsense

blaqsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

You're absolutely correct but I'm not able to even finish the setup to seek out drivers, XP sp1 does not come with SATA drivers.....7 and vista does not have this problem.....so I'm currently booting to my XP SP3 disk now....and it's loading the files for setup.... I'll come back to give you my findings...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

If that system comes with native SATA support...there's no reason to install SATA drivers.

But the BIOS setting for SATA must be set to "ATA" to bring about IDE-emulation/simulation to facilitate install of XP without adding SATA drivers.

I suggest taking a look at your BIOS settings.

Louis

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Without quoting hamluis, I have to agree with his last post, the one above mine.

He is correct.

Bruce.

#9 blaqsense

blaqsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:00 AM

I agree that I don't need any drivers for my sata hd and that if there were an option in there to set it to ide emulation or ata then I surely would have made the change.... the problem is that under sata configurations it's either SATA 1/ OR SAT 1-2 OR DISABLED only...these are the only options. So I wiped it clean, tried to install XP SP3 still hangs at the installing devices at 35 minutes...and then it freezes... so I can formate the drive, partition the drive, restart, start the gui setup but it stops at 35 minutes.. still googling for answers..

#10 blaqsense

blaqsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

@hamluis There is no option in the sata portion/option except disabled, sata 1, or sata2 that's it...nothing else......I understand what you're saying about set it to ATA to emulate ide....but what if there is no option in there, then how may I go about this install?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users