Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed printer comes up as "Unknown Device"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 535678

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

I just reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP3 and downloaded all the updates. I also installed the drivers for my HP 1320 Laserjet printer, which is working perfectly fine.

Now, whenever I boot up, XP launches the New Hardware Wizard and wants to find drivers for an "Unknown Device" which turns out to be the Laserjet. I've gone into Device Manager and disabled the Unknown Device but it comes back with every boot. Not a critical problem, but it gets annoying. Any idea what to do?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Are two printers reflected as installed?

I would uninstall/delete the printer or printers, then reinstall it.

Louis

#3 535678

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

No, just one instance of the HP1320 is shown. I'll try reinstalling it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users