Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Free Version 9

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SaxyLady

SaxyLady

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

What does anyone think of AVG Free (9.1)? I have heard that it can be a memory hog (like Norton), can be hard to remove if you decide you don't want to use it, and can be difficult to use. Comments?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

I haven't used AVG since version 7.5, where a nasty virus ripped right through it and actually infected the AVG process itself. So AVG was reporting that itself was infected and of course could do nothing about it. It's probably one of the worst AV programs I have ever had the experience of using.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

So AVG was reporting that itself was infected and of course could do nothing about it.

LoL. That is a funny situation :thumbsup:

IMHO, for the free antivirus avast! and Avira are the best. If you go through many anti-malware ,forums lots of infected people say that they have AVG installed and still got infected. So AVG is no no.

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

It wasn't funny at the time but it was a lesson.

I'd toss Microsoft Security Essentials in there as well, in fact #1 for free AV solutions. Then Avira and then Avast.

#5 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

Avira is an excellent scanner. I used to have AVG 7.5 many years ago but went to Avira because it missed some bad malware,which Avira promptly found.
However I gave the new AVG 9 a test and it worked very well,the new version is a nice user freindly package,but I don't know if it is as thorough as Avira at finding the worst stuff....

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

A friend of mine got trampled over when using AVG Free 9.0 by the SqywareProtect 2009 rogue. I was on Skype with her when it happened, and since I had no clue about security or viruses or malware for that matter at the time, I decided to be a security enthusiast in her honor. AVG was promptly disabled when the rogue hit, and so I had no clue then about secondary scanners at the time. I myself have also been let down by AVG 9, once when a trojan had been screwing around with my keyboard settings for a week prior to being caught, and once when my teacher sent me, along with all the other students in her class, an assignment description infected with the W97M/Marker.C virus. AVG only knew how to delete it. After that, I told everyone I knew who used AVG to hurry up and switch to another better antivirus. My friend and I switched to Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and NOD32 4.0 respectively. As far as my friend is concerned, KIS 2010 has never let anything dangerous or otherwise annoying near her, and as far as I'm concerned, NOD32 has blocked everything that it found with the exception of the initial and of course accidental, installation of the Win32/Kryptik.EEI trojan, but even though I deleted the malformed files FHF.exe, and FHG.EXE, which were never seen by NOD, NOD still found the remaining Fzytua.Exe. My laptop's been clear ever since then.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

A friend of mine got trampled over when using AVG Free 9.0 by the SqywareProtect 2009 rogue.

A brand of a security tool has nothing to do with any computer getting infected.
They're pretty much equal, or close to that.
The above statement belongs to very same category as infamous "Vista is bad".

It's not about AV program, or OS being bad, but it's all about an user being bad.
There is no perfect security tool and the first line of defense is and always be THE USER and his/her computer habits.

Surely we all like this AV program better and we don't like that one too much.
However, it's not about any level of protection.
You'll be protected, no matter, if you use AVG, Avast, McAfee, or Norton, but only if you're smart.
If you go to bad sites, you use P2P programs, etc., you'll get infected, no matter how much you pay for your security.

That said, personally, I don't like AVG, but not because, it gives you weak protection.
I think, AVG gives you very good protection, but I don't like it anymore (I used to use it, until ver 8.0 came up), because it uses a lot of resources, creates fairly good number of false positives and sometimes creates internet connection issues.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

If you are trying to blame my friend, I don't think you can, due to the fact that she does not go to bad sites, and she doesn't install things she doesn't know what they are. I'm careful too. But what about the way antivirus software does things. My worst annoyance about AVG is it's lack of knowing how to disinfect simple things such as 10-year-old word 97 macros. Those are easy to get rid of leaving the document intact. I can understand when it comes to PE infectors, for those are more well thought out and calculated.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:10 AM

You'll be protected, no matter, if you use AVG, Avast, McAfee, or Norton, but only if you're smart.

I would also add : if you also have smart friends. One day one of my friend came running with a USB stick, inserted it in my PC without asking. This USB stick had all kinds of viruses like Conficker, Sality and 4-5 others. My avast! caught them all :-)

#10 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:08 AM

I can confirm that AVG will not protect you. :thumbsup:

#11 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

I installed Panda Security Suite for a free 30 day trial. While it seemed pretty good,many features like the firewall and some other features were not functional,so I was not really able to evaluate it well and removed it.
Why offer a half-assed version for evaluation?
I don't mind testing trial versions,I have the free time.
Another Suite has a 2 month free trial,and another has a 6 month free trial.
I tested one this Spring that I thought was very good,best so far,and I will probably purchase that one if I find none better.
I Purchased and ran Avira Security Suite last year,it was very good too.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

I can confirm that AVG will not protect you.

I assume, you're a CEO of some serious security research facility and you have some data to share with us....:thumbsup:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#13 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

AVG Free 7.5 was the first anti-virus I had and I ran it for years trouble free,but I found later it wasn't the absolute best for finding and removing all malware,but one must keep in mind it is free,otherwise a person can pay money and get the best. You can go as far as purchasing security from a company like Sophos,extremely good but it's not $29.95,more like several hundred dollars.
When I checked the new AVG 9,it looked like a very complete package;anti-virus,anti-spyware,e-mail scanner,and it all is made to work together. Not bad for free,I downloaded and saved a copy.

#14 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

This isn't exactly data, but I've certainly seen reviews of AVG, and all of them show that like 90 percent of threats on a computer aren't picked up by it's realtime scanner, nor are they picked up by it's on demand one. And also, if AVG was protecting me when my teacher sent me the file that was bad, then why did it automatically delete the file instead of trying to repair it as it is the job of an antivirus to do?

#15 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

I assume, you're a CEO of some serious security research facility and you have some data to share with us....:thumbsup:

I can also confirm that Trend Micro will not protect you. I'm currently on a contract project with a major medical company that used it for it's AV solution. We're now in the process of imaging 15,000 computers that were infected with a virus. It should take a couple weeks of 12 hour shifts over a 24 hour rotation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users