Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Tool Virus Workaround

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 guisano

guisano

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Hello

One of our kid's computers got the aggravating Security Tools / Security Suite virus. After two days of following the instructions here and on other sites, I think I stumbled into another way of getting this curse off the computer. This worked for me and I hope that it will work for others.

On the infected computer, enter safe mode with networking

- create a new account profile for yourself and give yourself FULL administrative rights

- disable UAC

- Check your browser and be sure that it's configured to automatically get the server / proxy data

- Check that the browser is working by going to some sites such as this or the MS site or wherever you like so long as you know that you're actually at the site

- When you've verified that your browser is working correctly, go and download the files - such as mbam-setup - recommended for cleaning your computer

- If you're using Windows, go by the MS site and get an update for your defender as well as the anti-malware program - "Security Essentials" - that they have and download it

- restart your computer and go into the new account you created

- if this works as it did for me, you should not be experiencing the countless the pop - ups

- at this point, I ran the MS "Security Essentials" program. It found one virus / trojan and removed it, you can probably run mbam at this point

- run the mbam program

- log off and go to the original account, if you were successful, you'll have no pop-ups.

- run the mbam program again in this account for good measure.

I discovered this as I was trying to set the infected computer up for remote access. That's when I created the new account. I didn't know what I was doing but this does seem to be working and this virus is so annoying that I wanted to share my removal method with you. I've been working for two days trying to get this thing off and it's not the first time that I've run across it so I imagine that it probably won't be the last time.

Good Luck

Edited by Pandy, 18 August 2010 - 05:58 PM.
Moved from Malware Logs to a more appropriate forum, as no logs are included ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users