One of our kid's computers got the aggravating Security Tools / Security Suite virus. After two days of following the instructions here and on other sites, I think I stumbled into another way of getting this curse off the computer. This worked for me and I hope that it will work for others.
On the infected computer, enter safe mode with networking
- create a new account profile for yourself and give yourself FULL administrative rights
- disable UAC
- Check your browser and be sure that it's configured to automatically get the server / proxy data
- Check that the browser is working by going to some sites such as this or the MS site or wherever you like so long as you know that you're actually at the site
- When you've verified that your browser is working correctly, go and download the files - such as mbam-setup - recommended for cleaning your computer
- If you're using Windows, go by the MS site and get an update for your defender as well as the anti-malware program - "Security Essentials" - that they have and download it
- restart your computer and go into the new account you created
- if this works as it did for me, you should not be experiencing the countless the pop - ups
- at this point, I ran the MS "Security Essentials" program. It found one virus / trojan and removed it, you can probably run mbam at this point
- run the mbam program
- log off and go to the original account, if you were successful, you'll have no pop-ups.
- run the mbam program again in this account for good measure.
I discovered this as I was trying to set the infected computer up for remote access. That's when I created the new account. I didn't know what I was doing but this does seem to be working and this virus is so annoying that I wanted to share my removal method with you. I've been working for two days trying to get this thing off and it's not the first time that I've run across it so I imagine that it probably won't be the last time.
Edited by Pandy, 18 August 2010 - 05:58 PM.
Moved from Malware Logs to a more appropriate forum, as no logs are included ~Pandy