Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Computer-To-Computer (ad hoc) Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jungian

jungian

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

I am using a Dell Latitude Model D630 with Windows XP.

I am trying to set up a Wireless Computer-To-Computer (ad hoc Network) and have a problem in doing so.

In setting this up I:

1. Go to Network Connections
2. Right Click on Wireless Network
3. Click on Properties
4. At the top of the next screen it has two tabs: "General" and "Advanced"
5. The Problem I have is that there should also be a tab that says: "Network Connections" but this tab is missing. :thumbsup:

Any assistance would be appreciated including if anyone has a link to clear step by step instructions on how to set up a wireless computer-to-computer ad hoc network.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VaudeVillianVeteran

VaudeVillianVeteran

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

On mine it says 'General' 'Wireless Networks' and 'Advanced', could Wireless Networks be the correct one and a mis-type on your instructions?

#3 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

This link may help.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/edte.../doc/adhoc.html

#4 jungian

jungian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

The link provided by Blathnat give the correct procedure to establish the computer-to-computer ad hoc wireless connection.

When you open up the link it shows three tabs.

My problem is that on my laptop the tab that says: "Wireless Networks" does not appear.

If I can find out how to make the "Wireless Networks" tab reappear I know how to make to appropriate connection from there.

Can anybody help me locate the "Wireless Networks" tab?

Thank you

#5 Chalzc

Chalzc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

According to the manual (on the dell website)

Pgs 52-53

Determining the Wireless Network Device Manager
Depending on the software installed on your computer, different wireless configuration utilities may
manage your network devices
• Your wireless network card’s client utility
• The Windows XP or Windows Vista operating system

To determine which wireless configuration utility is managing your wireless network card in Windows
XP:

1 Click Start→ Settings→ Control Panel→ Network Connections.
2 Right-click the Wireless Network Connection icon, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

If the Choose a wireless network window states Windows cannot configure this connection, the wireless
network card’s client utility is managing the wireless network card.

If the Choose a wireless network window states Click an item in the list below to connect to a wireless
network in range or to get more information, the Windows XP operating system is managing the
wireless network card.

I'd guess that the wireless card software is controlling the signal. I'd poke around in that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users