Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Set Up Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

I've been trying to get my network up and running so I can browse and transfer things between my computers easier but I can't seem to get it to work. Can anybody help me with a step by step guide? I tried using the guide in XP Pro to help me but it didn't seem to work. I still can't connect. Thanks.
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:22 PM

Do you have SP2 installed?

What is the op system/s of the other computer/s on your network?

The network wizard in XP (part of SP2) should make the network setup easy.

One tip - all the computers on the network need to belong to the exact same workgroup - spelled exactly the same way.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:24 PM

I've been trying to get my network up and running so I can browse and transfer things between my computers easier but I can't seem to get it to work. Can anybody help me with a step by step guide? I tried using the guide in XP Pro to help me but it didn't seem to work. I still can't connect. Thanks.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:30 PM

I was just about to ask those questions and also IS it wireless ? May be a problem there

Edited by boopme, 31 October 2005 - 11:30 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:44 PM

All of the computers are XP Pro and do have SP2 installed and no it's not on a wireless connection and are in the same Workgroup, which I renamed to Homes.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:28 AM

Ok, how many computers, what kind of network, is there a router involved, switches, ICS, servers?
Have you set static IPs or are they on auto? Were there error messages from the network wizard?
Open a command window and run ipconfig /all on all the PCs and list their IP addresses here.

That should do for a start...

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:16 AM

To add to Rimmer, if you are using a modem/router provided by your ISP what type is it? I know BellSouth is almost impossible to configure without there installation disk.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:31 PM

There are 4 computers connected by a router with a DSL connection from Verizon on static IP. By doing ipconfig /all what am I suppose to do with the IP addresses? There problem was that my main computer wasn't picking up any of the other computers and vice versa. I'll try what you said when I have time. Thanks again.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

There are 4 computers connected by a router with a DSL connection from Verizon on static IP. By doing ipconfig /all what am I suppose to do with the IP addresses? There problem was that my main computer wasn't picking up any of the other computers and vice versa. I'll try what you said when I have time. Thanks again.

Have you set the permissions for each computer to "Share" by right click select sharing? Set the level of sharing you wish. I would recommend only sharing the "Shared Folder". If you are sharing printers, you will need to do the same in "Printers and Fax" folder under Start.

#10 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:10 AM

Yeah I have it set on share but it's not detecting the other computers at all as if no other computer is on the network.

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:19 AM

Do some pings on the IP addresses that you have gathered, to see if you have an operating network.

Start>Run cmd enter, then at the prompt type ping /? to see how.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:22 PM

Yeah I have it set on share but it's not detecting the other computers at all as if no other computer is on the network.

I'm repling as if the remote computers do not have sharing turned on. For a computer to be visible it must expose it's self to the LAN. This means if you want to see computer 1 on tha LAN is must have the folder you want to access form computer 2 shared. And if you want computer 2 to have access to computer 1 it to must has sharing turned on.
If you have sharing turn on computers ignore this part of the post.
Under your Local Area Connection(Control Panal>Network Connections>right click LAN>Properties) do you have "file and printer sharing enabled"?

#13 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

Okay thanks for all of your help I got it now. At last!

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

Your welcome. If you have more question please ask.
Go luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users