Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new motherboard problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SeanyCozzie24v

SeanyCozzie24v

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

hi there.
i bought a brand new ecs g41t-m5 motherboard. i put my processor in,heatsink etc and connected all cables. when i went to boot it up. the cpu fan came on full blast and there was no display and no beeps coming from the motherboard. the fan is on full. can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hello, I see you have your new main board already and are already experiencing problems with it.

Have you tried using the on-board video graphics accelerator first? Before installing your add-on video card that you tried using on the bad BIOS chip flash main board?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

Just because you didn't mention it: you did put the memory in, right? The machine won't POST without it.

#4 SeanyCozzie24v

SeanyCozzie24v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

well it was a bad motherboard. returned it and got a ecs g31t-m7 v7.0 motherboard. installed it today. and got it running perfectly!!! i was reinstalling windows when suddenly. it turned itself off. i tried to turn it back on but to no avail. i have to pull the power cord out. turn the little switch off on the back of the psu wait a few second plug the lead back in and turn the psu switch on. the pc then switches itself on runs the cpu fan at full speed for about 3-5 seconds then turns itself off. i try to hit the power button but nothing happens. i have to unplug the power lead turn the switch on the psu off. then plug it back in then turn the switch on. it starts itself up again runs for about 3-5 seconds and turns back off and the power switch does nothing!!!
i am almost at the end of my tether with this bloody thing! can anyone please! HELP!!!!

#5 SeanyCozzie24v

SeanyCozzie24v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

do you think this board has bit the dust or even worse my cpu??

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

It sounds to me like you are having your share of problems with motherboards. :thumbsup:

If you have to remove the power from the PSU, to get things working again, that means there is something causing the PSU's safety feature to click on, unplugging the power resests this feature.

I was also sad to hear that your other motherboard was a bad one, that does not happen that often.

But at one point there was a lot of electronics that were built with bad parts, it basically depended on what factories got stuck with the bad parts and if their quality control tested the units before shipping them out.

So we're either looking at a faulty PSU or another faulty motherboard, or another piece of hardware which is sending a fault code to your PSU to shut down.

You may have to remove everything from this setup and boot up only using the bare necessities needed to boot up the system.

This may reveal a possible short to computer case on the motherboard stand-offs.

What I suggest is doing this.....

Remove the motherboard from the computer case.

Lay it on a clean surface, attach the two power supply harnesses to the motherboard, the ATX and the 12v 4 pin connecters.

Attach the mouse.

Attach the keyboard.

Add one stick of RAM to slot # 1.

Add in Video card if using add-on card to proper slot.

Attach monitor to VGA port.

Do NOT hook up any drives at this point, this includes hard drives or DVD/CD drives.

Connect power to power supply.

Boot up the computer and upon boot up press and hold proper key to enter BIOS set up utility.

Observe if this happens and post back the results to me, DO NOT do anything further until you recieve a reply back from me.

Thank you in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 SeanyCozzie24v

SeanyCozzie24v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

i will just say one thing. i have tested the psu with a paper clip using the psu on wire and ground wire. i have taken the 20 pin atx connector out and the 4 pin cpu connector. and left the 4 pin connector the main power socket. the hard drive works and cd rom drives spins up and the psu dosent shut down. any suggestions

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

i will just say one thing. i have tested the psu with a paper clip using the psu on wire and ground wire. i have taken the 20 pin atx connector out and the 4 pin cpu connector. and left the 4 pin connector the main power socket. the hard drive works and cd rom drives spins up and the psu dosent shut down. any suggestions

Hmmm? The 4 pin main power socket? Is this the 4 pin usually marked 12v that you are refering to, or am I thinking of the wrong connecter?

Just to be on the right track here, I am going to download the manual to your motherboard so I can get a view of your motherboard's lay-out.

Bruce.

#9 SeanyCozzie24v

SeanyCozzie24v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

took the board out of the case and set it on a wooden table connect the 2 connectors and nothing. still does the same thing. cpu at fault???

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

By the way here is the support for your motherboard.

I just wanted to share this link with you. :thumbsup:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/ECSSearch...keyword=g31t-m7

Bruce.

#11 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Do you have access to another, known working PSU that you can try on this machine just to prove for certain that it's not a PSU problem? Just because the PSU can turn on doesn't mean that it's functioning correctly.

Also - it's much more likely that the board is bad, not your CPU - it's brand new, so you can RMA it. Brand new boards do fail sometimes.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

Here is the manual I am reviewing.

http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfileecs/manua.../G31T-M7_v7.pdf

It shows your motherboard lay-out on page 4

It shows a 24 pin PSU ATX power supply socket listed as #4 and the ATX 12v listed as #21.

You are saying that when you only have #21 connected, the computer boots up Okay, but if you connect the 20 pin into #4, it does not boot up.

Are you sure your connecting the 20 pin connector into the correct pins of the 24 pin connector?

Remember now, you're only using 20 of those 24, that means there is 4 unused pins left and you may be using the wrong 20 pins and may have to move the 20 pin connector over.

Please re-check this and make sure you are correct with this connector.

Bruce.

#13 SeanyCozzie24v

SeanyCozzie24v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

no ihave the 24 pin connector fitted correctly. if i remove the 20pin atx connecter and leave the existing 4 atx connector pins on the board starts up. but theres no display or anything but i can hear the hard drive spinning. i took the cpu cooler off and seen the outside of the cpu were a little black. i wiped it off reseated the cpu and applied new paste.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

Below is a copy and paste from your motherboard manual.

I am providing this information as check list you can go over.

Chapter 5
Trouble Shooting
Start up problems during assembly
After assembling the PC for the first time you may experience some start up
problems. Before calling for technical support or returning for warranty, this chapter
may help to address some of the common questions using some basic troubleshooting
tips.
a) System does not power up and the fans are not running.
1.Disassemble the PC to remove the VGA adaptor card, DDR memory, LAN, USB
and other peripherals including keyboard and mouse. Leave only the motherboard,
CPU with CPU cooler and power supply connected. Turn on again to see if the
CPU and power supply fans are running.
2. Make sure to remove any unused screws or other metal objects such as screwdrivers
from the inside PC case. This is to prevent damage from short circuit.
3. Check the CPU FAN connector is connected to the motherboard.
4. For Intel platforms check the pins on the CPU socket for damage or bent. A bent
pin may cause failure to boot and sometimes permanent damage from short circuit.
5. Check the 12V power connector is connected to the motherboard.
6. Check that the 12V power & ATX connectors are fully inserted into the
motherboard connectors. Make sure the latches of the cable and connector are
locked into place.
B} Power is on, fans are running but there is no display
1. Make sure the monitor is turned on and the monitor cable is properly connected
to the PC.
2. Check the VGA adapter card (if applicable) is inserted properly.
3. Listen for beep sounds. If you are using internal PC speaker make sure it is
connected.
a. continuous 3 short beeps : memory not detected
b. 1 long beep and 8 short beeps : VGA not detected

c) The PC suddenly shuts down while booting up.
1. The CPU may experience overheating so it will shutdown to protect itself.
Ensure the CPU fan is working properly.
2. From the BIOS setting, try to disable the Smartfan function to let the fan run at
default speed. Doing a Load Optimised Default will also disable the Smartfan.
Maintenance and care tips
Your computer, like any electrical appliance, requires proper care and maintenance.
Here are some basic PC care tips to help prolong the life of the motherboard and
keep it running as best as it can.
Start up problems after prolong use
After a prolong period of use your PC may experience start up problems again.
This may be caused by breakdown of devices connected to the motherboard such as
HDD, CPU fan, etc. The following tips may help to revive the PC or identify the
cause of failure.
1. Clear the CMOS values using the CLR_CMOS jumper. Refer to CLR_CMOS
jumper in Chapter 2 for Checking Jumper Settings in this user manual. When
completed, follow up with a Load Optimised Default in the BIOS setup.
2. Check the CPU cooler fan for dust. Long term accumulation of dust will reduce
its effectiveness to cool the processor. Clean the cooler or replace a new one if
necessary.
3. Check that the 12V power & ATX connectors are fully inserted into the
motherboard connectors. Make sure the latches of the cable and connector are
locked into place.
4. Remove the hard drive, optical drive or DDR memory to determine which of
these component may be at fault.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 August 2010 - 03:32 PM.

#15 SeanyCozzie24v

SeanyCozzie24v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

yes i already have the manual with all the info above. i really think the cpu has bit the dust!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users